Thread: Work thing - do you think this is too ambitious?

Default Work thing - do you think this is too ambitious?

Ok, as you can probably see in my sig, my daughter is just over 2 months old.
    I am now a SAHM and at home with her alll day (duh..)

I have lined up a week of full time work in the July school holidays.. I havent confirmed whether or not I'll do it yet though, as I am still trying to decide if I want to and if it is actually do-able with a baby. I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on this. She will spend this week with her daddy (he's a school teacher so he has the school hols off). She is breastfed at the moment and I plan to continue this.

Do you think Claire will be too young for me to leave her for a full week at 4 months old?

I have no idea! Any help/experiences/opinions would be very much appreiciated!

Mia'sMummy Guest

I'm no help at all Karina, my baby girl is 8 months old & I'm still funny about leaving her for an hour or so with my own Mum!!! My Mum has had 4 children & is 200% capable of looking after babies, but I'm just not ready yet.
    As for breastfeeding, try to get her used to having EBM every now & then, just to make sure she'll take to the teat. I hope it goes well for you, it'd be great to get out & have a bit of a break!

I think you could do it - Mia'sMummy is right about the EBM though - start now to get her used to it. Make sure you have plenty of EMB in the freezer (ie: more than you need) and also that you have the chance to express heaps (every 2 hours at least) while at work. The last thing you would want is to have supply issues in return for one week's worth of work.

You will probably be very tired that week so make sure DH is a good cook or cook all your dinners ahead of time. I have worked days in the office since Flynn was about 6 months old (started at 1 moved up to 3) and his dad looked after him, and there have never been any problems at all on that front.

If you keep the EBM and expressing up, you'll probably find that SHE won't be missing out (she's with her daddy, after all!) but YOU will be. You will miss her and you'll be tired, but I don't think that (if you are ready for it and you have the support of DH) should put you off the idea.

Maybe also try leaving her for the day with your DH for an extended period of time - partly for you to get used to it and partly for DH to get used to her.

Good luck!!

Thanks for your input. I was also thinking about the issue of EBM. We've given her EBM in a bottle a few times, so I think she is not too fussy about that (i hope). Do I start expressing now? I never feel "full" so I worry that my supply is not that fab. ooh thanks for reminding me about a good private spot for expressing - i was thinking about that but forgot to ask them about it today.. better call tomorrow and ask.

Maybe I can just see if I can do 3 days or something?

If I decide to go ahead and do this week of work, do I start stocking up on EBM and freeze it now?

omg so many things to think about! I just dont want to make the wrong decision and regret it

Personally, if you can wing it, I think 3 days (as in Monday, Wednesday, Friday) is better - your boobs will be away from her less and you have time to recover in between.

Don't worry if you don't feel full!! I never did and BF till 9 months when I got pg with Little One. I had no supply problems while BF at all.

I am pretty sure you can freeze for up to 3 months, but check in the BF forum or with the ABA.

I would start expressing now, partly to get a feel for how much you express and partly to stock up. You might be surprised how different expressing is to BF, and if Claire is still only 2mo your milk supply is still probably settling down so you might find it easier of you start now than if you wait a while.

believe me, the stress of potentially not having enough EBM for your baby is a big one when you start work and whatever you can do to have LOTS hanging around is a good thing.

Hi Karina, I agree with what's already been said, I just wanted to say how DELICIOUS your little girl is. I wanna eat her for brekkie! What a darling!