Thread: Working 3days at work and 2 days at home

Default Working 3days at work and 2 days at home

Hi ,

I have always had my mind set on going back to work for 3days a week when Kaitlyn is 12months. Problem is I spoke to my boss and he has now asked if I would considered 3 days in the office and 2 days at home!. This would be brilliant as I would be back on full pay however I dont want to take from my time with Kaitlyn. I have not confirmed the role yet but I imagine it will involve being available on the phone and working through issues that must be solved urgently if they arise and I am worried I will be telling Kaitlyn " not now honey" which I REALLY dont want to do .

Has anyone tried the "working from home thing"?. Did it work ..or not work.

ARGHHH I know I should be happy as not many bosses will let you work from home ...but I just really want to give Kaitlyn as much as I can ...but if I dont take this role what if there is not the option to work from home later when I feel ready..choices choices!

Thanks
    Cass

Are you able to try working from home a couple of times before making a commitment either way, to see how difficult it is for you? My DH is currently working from home (while I'm home too, so I'm looking after DD) 2 days a week, and he doubts he would be able to get a whole lot of work done on those days if he also had to look after DD! But it may be totally different for you; you might find it works quite smoothly. Personally I don't think you can really say if you think it will work without trying it... Sorry that's probably not much help!

It depends on the type of work.
    Initially I tried working from home & found I wasn't getting enough done during the day so had to work at night. Arghh.
    So then decided to 'go' back to work. It was 3 days.

Now she is older I can do more at home, she can do stuff right next to me.
    Though I don't often commit to exact amounts of work, 'just in case'.
    It is a great opportunity though, could you perhaps say that work from home be on an hourly basis???

Thanks girls.

Yea Tam that is what I am thinking of doing. If it is an admin role ( as I am in corporate sales) then I figure I just need to get the job done ..not be working 9-5...mmmm I am meeting with my boss on Friday so I guess I will see what he has to say.