Thread: Cooking kangaroo meat????

Question Cooking kangaroo meat????

DH has been told to replace the red meat in his diet with kangaroo - I have no idea how to cook it except that I believe it can get tough and is easily overcooked. So I have a roast and some mince from the supermarket. I was hoping I could use the mince for spag bol? I am also a bit put off by what it is, which is a bit dumb as all meat comes from somewhere. So am reminding myself of the pluses - really low fat, high iron, bit lower calories and better for the environment (apparently).
    Any tips, fav recipes would be appreciated!

Kangaroo can get tough very easily, which makes it practically inedible, it is horrible.
    What cut of meat do you have to roast?

Kangaroo meat is very lean but super high in iron, a great substitute for those with higher blood pressure or cholesterol, weight loss etc. I think people are funny about eating it, but helps to remember that they are the native protein in Australia - not cows and sheep, and Aboriginies have been eating kangaroo for thousands of years before it was a coat of arms

Three are tons of recipes around, but if you tell me what cut you have, I can probably tell you how to roast it properly

We eat a fair bit of roo here, never seen a kangaroo roast before though!...we usually just buy the fillets and treat them like a (beef) steak. I really like it, but it does have a very distinct flavour. I reckon you could use the mince for spag, lasagne, meatballs, anything you would make out of regular beef mince really....mexican would be awesome too, chilli, tacos etc

Roo goes really with red wine or bbq kind of flavours. Or even those kitschy 'australian bush' spices you can buy at the supermarket. When it's cooked right it's really tender (like an expensive cut of beef), but yes when overcooked it'll get very chewy, best way to eat it is medium/medium rare. Just treat it like beef (but shorten the cooking time) and you can't go wrong really.
    HTH and enjoy
    Last edited by allycat06; July 6th, 2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Great! Thanks! The roasts are prepackaged and are Herb and Garlic rolls - they have really clear cooking times on the back so should be ok. 20mins foil covered and 15 without at 200degrees. Glad I can use the mince as I would beef - we have lots of mince meals! Esp frozen when I work so I am very relieved.
    Do you have any other fav recipes?? Thanks again you have given me a bit of a confidence boost. xx

Default Cooking kangaroo meat????

I use the mince like any other mince. Spaghetti bol, chilli beef (roo), taccos, lasagna, rissoles, shepherds pie etc. It is great and we can barely tell the difference. I find the mince cooks the same as beef mince.

With the mini roasts, I cook the as per the directions on the pack and it comes out well.

With the filets I tend to cut into cubes, marinate them, and make kebabs and cook on the BBQ. Try tandoori paste and yogurt. That is good.

Have fun with it.

Default :)

I bought kangaroo in strips and made stroganoff with it for my dad, his wife and my brother .. I didn't tell them it was roo till they were halfway through eating it .. lol .. They actually said it was nicer then beef. After they made a really funny face and stopped chewing for a second lol .. I knew they wouldn't taste it otherwise ..

I just cook it the same as beef, I can't notice any difference in the taste but maybe thats just me .. lol ..

My recipie for PERFECT roo steaks:

Bring the fillet steaks to room temperature - that's right, leave them on the bench for AT LEAST one hour before cooking. Then heat your pan really well (I use a cast iron griddle plate or steel frypan - non-stick stuff doesn't get hot enough) or preheat the BBQ. When hot, oil the steaks and put on the BBQ cooking as you would a normal steak.

Now the TRICK with roo is because it is so lean you will not want to cook it all the way throuh, as others have said. But since roo fillets are often quite nice and thick, cook them til well-browned then take them off the grill plate and double wrap in foil while you plate up the veggies. THEN once the meat is rested (for at least 2-3 minutes), turn the BBQ or grill back on, split the roo down the middle to expose the (still uncooked) centre of the fillet and place it cut side down on the BBQ or grill plate for about 5 -10 seconds (I lean more to 5 seconds). It should then be cooked medium-rare without still being bloody. Resting the meat before splitting it is critical to this method (which I discovered by dishing up one-to-many pieces of roo that were still ready to hop around the paddock....)

i LOVE Kangaroo. Roryrory has me drooling...