Thread: Spaghetti Bolganaise

Default Spaghetti Bolganaise

excuse the spelling...am looking for a nice tasty but plain recepie for the above any help greatly appreciated thanx

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

All i do for my sauce is brown mince and onion.
    add salt, pepper, oregano, oxo cube, crushed garlic and some chilli paste and a dash of red wine and let all that cook.

Then add 1 tin of crushed tomatoes and then a jar of doilmio sauce and let simmer.

dont know if u were wanting a sauce from scartch or not but this is yummy!!

this is same sauce i use also in lasagna but on top of each layer of meat i put some grated cheese and bechamel sauce!and on top layer of pasta i coat pasta in bechamel sauce and then heap with grated cheese!!

Copied from another thread I posted in here is my ragu recipe:

When making a ragu, always start with heaps of chopped veg, like zucchini, carrot, celery and onion. I will cook it till it colapses and caramelises. Then I'll take it out, cook the mince (always cook mince in a pan with a high edge so it breaks up with a stirring motion, unless you like chunky mince in which case cook it in a frypan. Then I add herbs, garlic and put the veg back in (I also drain all the fat away before adding veg, which is why I don't add meat to veg otherwise when draining you can loose some veg). Then I'll add tomato paste or passata, tomatoes (tinned roma chopped) and red wine. Cook for at least an hour continually adding water so it doesn't dry out. I normally do a big batch when making spag bog that way I can freeze half and make lasagne another night with the leftover. Also when choosing meats play around, you might like to do half veal half pork or half veal half italian sausage mince. A ragu always tastes great with even 1 or two sausages worth of italian sausage meat added to your basic beef mince. You can also add finely chopped pancetta or prociutto, but I often use it when layering my lasagne as the flavour is better. Don't forget to check for seasoning, which with ragu is salt pepper and sugar

I make mine almost the same way as Cailin - except that I brown the meat first, then drain the fat through a colander. I then fry onion and garlic, add bacon or pancetta, a heap of fresh rosemary and a bay leaf, then add carrot, zucchini, mushrooms, celery (which I either very finely chop or grate if I can't be bothered chopping). I throw in some red wine, reduce slightly, add passata, tomato paste and liquid stock (vege or beef), a tiny bit of sugar (less than a tablespoon) if the tomatoes are a bit bitter, cover and simmer for at least 2-3 hours until everything is so tender and yummy and flavoursome. If the sauce needs to reduce a bit, uncover and boil at the end of the cooking time.

I usually do a whole heap of it (2kg of mince) then freeze most of it. If I'm doing lasagne the sauce should be a little wetter and I add double cream before layering.

I make mine using mince, vegetables and herbs, no tomato paste or sauce or anything. It doesn't really matter how you do it; you can put a whole lot of tomatos (5 or so big ones), chopped up, in a frying pan with maybe 3 onions and 1/2 a punnet (or 1 punnet if you prefer) of mushrooms, and cook it until the tomatoes fall apart and turn into sauce and the onion and mushrooms are soft, then add 600gms of mince and some olive oil. Or you can cook the mince first (with a little bit of water to help it along), and add everything into the same pan when its done (though unless you're happy to let it sit for a fair while you might want to fry the onions first anyway). When its all together and cooking along merrily, I add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, GARLIC (lots because I love it) and a few bay leaves. I love doing it this way because its totally healthy
    (if you fry the meat in olive oil), there's no extra sugar and salt and weird chemicals like you get in store-bought sauces and it tastes nicer IMO.

edit: the quantities I listed are very rough, I constantly change the quantities depending of how much I have of whatever I'm using. I do use a lot of the veggies though, and lots of the herbs.

edit again lawl: I love the idea of adding pancetta or procuitto. Yummm!
    Last edited by Neenee Jellybeanie; January 2nd, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

yummmm i sooo am craving spag bog , but i got no mince ...

but i usually make it similar to baby socks ...
    i also add tinned/frozen corn ...
    and if i have no tomatoes i used tinned whole tomatoes and no pasta sauce ... usually add red wine too when we have it ... !

I like to make mine with stock and veggies and herbs and stuff but if you're wanting a p*ss easy recipe it would have to be this:

500g mince
    2 tins tomato, onion, garlic & basil (you can get these from woolworths/safeway they're real cheap)
    1 small jar tomato paste
    pinch of sugar (this helps to really bring out the flavour in the tomatoes)
    salt, pepper

Too easy, brown mince and drain the fat out. Stick in the tinned stuff and the tomato paste, add your pinch of sugar, season to taste with the salt & pepper and simmer it for a good 45 mins stirring every now and then so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

I usually add things like grated zuchinni and carrot and some beef stock and you can add oregano or parsley depending on how you like it.

mine is a simple one - an Italian friend makes it this way too
    fry onion
    add mince and brown
    add one tin of tomato puree and one tin of water
    4 tablespoons of tomato paste and one teaspoon of sugar
    salt to taste
    simmer slowly until excess water boils away

lightly fry diced 1onion 1carrot and 2 rashers bacon add 400grmmince brown add 1 cup beef stock, 1/4 cup tomatoes sauce simmer for 20min stirring occasionally

This is how I was taught by my dad (who is Italian) to make Bolognaise.

Fry and onion and garlic in a fair amount of olive oil.
    As much garlic as you like, I use a lot 5 or 6 cloves, and olive oil should cover the base of the pan to about 1cm.
    It's important you don't brown them just cook medium heat until the onion is transparent. It effects the flavour of the sauce.
    Add mince and brown, I use about 500g. I use mainly beef, but proper way is to use half beef half pork, it does taste better.
    Few table spoons of tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste or you could put chili in.
    Cook the tomato paste for 3-4 mins.
    Add a couple tins of chopped plain tomato, not the ones with herbs or anything in them. Or could use pasata which is pureed tomato.
    Then add water, enough to leave about an inch or two at the top of the saucepan.
    Then you bring to boil and simmer slowly for at least a couple hours, all the water should be evaporated and sauce should be thick.