thread: Tomato and meatball soup recipes PLEASE

Dec 2004
    Sydney

Question Tomato and meatball soup recipes PLEASE

Hi all,

I am trying to find a tomato soup recipe that is made with REAL tomatoes not canned.

I have bought 2kg of tomatoes (don't have to use them all LOL) and some veges (parsnip, carrots, celery, swede) but I don't know how much stock and how many tomatoes I should use.

Has anyone got and recipes or ideas fo me please?

Thanks heaps

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

I requested a chunky tomato soup last August, and Hollye posted this one for me (but I am still yet to make it!! ):

Ingredients
    50ml olive oil
    25g unsalted butter
    3 onions, chopped
    3 carrots, cut into 5mm pieces
    3 celery sticks, cut into 5mm pieces
    1 bay leaf
    1 large clove garlic, crushed
    6 smoked back bacon rashers, rind removed and cut into strips
    900g/2lb ripe tomatoes, preferably plum
    600-900ml pints chicken or vegetable stock
    small bunch fresh basil, chopped
    small bunch fresh tarragon, chopped
    tomato puree (optional, to taste)
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
    1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a saucepan and sweat the chopped onions, carrots and celery for a few minutes.
    2. Add the bay leaf and garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
    3. Add the bacon, if using, and continue to cook for about five minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
    4. Cut the tomatoes into eight pieces. Add them to the vegetables, cover the pan and cook gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    5. When the tomatoes have softened, start to add the stock, just a ladle at a time, until you have a looser consistency. The soup can be as thick or as thin as you like. Leave it to cook for a further 20 minutes.
    6. Add the chopped herbs and check for seasoning. You may find that a little tomato puree will help the strength of taste. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.

I would make fairly small meatballs (just with mince, egg, and breadcrumbs), brown on all sides, then add to the pot with the stock and simmer until cooked.

Hopefully that can be a good start for you.