Thread: Alternative treatments for SPD? Avoid or embrace?

Default Alternative treatments for SPD? Avoid or embrace?

Hi I'm interested in any thing you might have done to treat/lessen the impact of SPD, other than the standard scenario of seeing a physio and following their recommendations.

In particular, are things like Yoga or Bowen any good, or should I steer clear of these if my pelvis is already unstable?

I have found chiropractic work to be a lifesaver. It has given me exercises for stability and mobility to the tight side which is pulling on the other side causing the pelvis pain. Except for today, my pain has been well managed and settles with treatment. My chiropractor also has a table so I can lie on my tummy for massage work and treatment.

I can recommend pilates. Make sure your instructor is more about pain management than physical fitness IYKWIM.
    A physio may be able to refer you to one or like mine actually run classes.

Pilates is all about balance within the pelvic area and strengthening your core muscles. It's good because when you can't bend over/get down on the floor/feel big clumsy and tired you can use the fit ball or even lay on a bed and do your excercises
    Last edited by ~Raven~; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks ladies.

Has anyone tried acupuncture purely as a form of pain relief?

Rehabilitative Pilates is actually part of the treatment to prevent SPD in future pregnancies and to help strengthen post birth.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yep - pilates exercises are what I get given by the chiropractor. It is fabulous. I did it through the first pregnancy which is why I think this time I am suffering - no preparatory pilates!!