Thread: Brain ventricle

Default Brain ventricle

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    I have just received the results of my 22w scan, and everything is spot on except that they 'may' ahve seen a slighly enlarged left ventricle on the baby's brain. The Doctor explained it as a little bit of fluid...... but I am very cunfused. He said that the sonographers reccommend that the baby have a head scan within its first few weeks of life.
    He said its nothing to worry about at the moment. But I am so upset that there could be a major problem with my little one.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get some info? Or even anyone who has heard anything about this???
    I am desperate to find out as much as I can .
    I am absolutley devastated at the moment and any help would be grealty appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi Squishee, I can understand how upset you must feel at this information. For more information you could try googling it - I think the term for extra fluid in the ventricles is hydrocephalus BUT having said that, remember that there are mild forms AND severe forms. Sometimes googling terms is not a great idea as it could stress you out more. I think that if they are happy to wait until after the birth of your little one that they aren't too concerned about it and are maybe hoping that it will drain away on it's own. Also, you say that it 'may' be slightly larger - that sounds like it's not a massive amount of extra fluid. I'm afraid I can't give you much information. As upsetting and stressful as it is, I would rest assured in the fact that they would have told you if they were majorly concerned, but they are happy to wait until after the birth to look at it again. I hope you find some reassurance somewhere and can go back to enjoying your pregnancy and the anticipation of you beautiful child. Good luck

Dont worry too much as I was told the same thing at 22 weeks that one of my babies had extra fluid in one of the ventricles.(yes I have twins)The sonographers werent too concerned as the other ventricles were fine and she was growing at the same rate as her sister and her face showed no abnormalities.I also was beside myself with worry but was reassured the following day by my OB that she had seen that in alot of babies and most of the time it is nothing they just have to tell you these things in case anything should happen later on and they knew about it but didnt inform the patient they could be sued or whatever...Anyway it did put a bit of a dampner on the rest of my pregnancy although because I was carrying twins I had extra scans leading up to their birth.The fluid stayed the same there was no increase which was a good sign.At 12 days old twin A .now named Vashti,had a scan on her head and the fluid still remained but our pediatrician was not too concerned.She yhen had another scan 4 weeks later and the extra bit of fluid had started to receed a little so there are no concerns for her.I know how heartbreaking this news can be but stay positive and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy...hugs to you...

Sorry I shold have added that Im not sure where you can get extra info about it.The sonographers where I had the scans had a head doctor there so she took me aside after the first scan and explained everything to me and also my OB was a big help as well.Do you have an OB or good doctor you could speak to?

lindie Guest

Hi Nicky,

about 16 months ago I posted a question about this and didnt get much response so maybe I can help... Its called Mild ventriculomegally which is NOT hydrocephalus...it CAN turn into hydro but usually doesnt! My son was diagnosed with this at 20 weeks into our pregnancy and I was also really worried it did put a dampner on my pregnancy and had actually prepared myself for IF my son was born with any of the problems associated too this.

My sons was approx 2mm out on his left side. anywhere up to 18mm is fine anything over 2cms out needs carefull monitoring but doesnt mean that your baby will have a disability just means they may need shunting after birth to prevent any problems.

My DS actually fluctuated within 5mms each scan and to be honest with you they (mater fetal medicine) had even mentioned termination if it was our request??? Unreal. But we decided after a few expensive scans that we would just accept what ever was thrown our way and we did and our DS is perfect totally perfect!!!!

My advice is DONT GET TOO UPSET, DONT ruin your pregnancy over a small MAYBE.

I am also 15 weeks pregnant again and have been told not too be too worried if we have the same problem as it may just be a genetic thing?? I might add too that they do check your babies hands for thumb abnormalities that accompany Trisomy problems and also check for facial abnormalities.... Our sonographer actually turned on the 3D and had a good look, she was satified it was just a small (must mention for future sueing reasons) problem and she was satified we didnt need an amnio.

But if you are really worried an amnio would help rule out down syndrome etc..But not all genetical problems will be ruled out..

ENJOY YOUR PREGNANCY!!!!!!

Lindie,

Just a note: My baby Jett is 1 year old on Friday and is meeting all milestones and is totally gorgeous!!!!

Default Pansy

Hi pansy,
    I am trying to get into contact with you. Not sure how to do it though. its Sara from L'star!!!! let me know if you read this..... am in 2nd tri.

Hi Sara I think I know who you are are you a twin yourself? Go Lonestar god I still have dreams about that place and I havent worked there for 6 and a half yrs...congrats on your pregnancy,where are you having your baby at?

Oh no I know who it is...You know claire and lee....

SUre is, you guessed it!!! Am week 25 sooo..... nearly 3rd tri (I think-not sure when it starts)!!!! amail me on sjhoskin at optusnet dot com dot au
    was there for lunch yesterday!!!!

HI there,
    My son was born perfectly fine. He had a scan 1 week after he was born that showed all was withing normal range (still at the high end, but not a concern at all).
    He is now a very active, very bright 20 month old.