Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cervical stitch

Default Cervical stitch

HI,

In a weeks time I am getting a stitch in my cervix as I lost my last baby at 24 weeks. Has anybody had this procedure before that coudl enlighten me on their experience as I am FULL of nerves and want to know all the good and bad of it. Please help...

Bonnie.

Sorry Bonnie, I have no personal experience to help you with. My SIL delivered her daughter at 24 weeks, and she thankfully survived, but miscarried the next bubs at 15 weeks. The doctor suggested she had an incompetent cervix and they put a stitch in with her third pregnancy, which she then carried to term.

She tells me it was fairly painless experience and once in did not give her any issues at all.

Hope it works successfully for you, and someone with more knowledge can come give you some reassurance

hi bonnie...

ive just had a cervical stitch done, last monday.....

im happy to answer any questions u have, just ask away!

its a scary experience but the more u know the better u will feel about it all.....

do u have a OB?

I haven't had one myself but have nursed many women who have been my patients following the procedure. The earliest I have seen it placed was 15weeks latest 26weeks. All have then gone on to deliver after 34weeks (most term). I have not seen any complications from the surgery.

The ladies I have nursed have all been comfotable following the procedure and most have experienced a little bit of bleeding mostly brown just from the suture been placed in.

Hope it all goes smoothly and you carry bub to term.

Thanks all for answering

Crumpet: Where did you go? Did you get knocked out or have an epidural? Were you in hosp overnight? Did you bleed at all? How are you now? Can you feel it at all? And pain?
    I will be 14 weeks next Tueday when I get it done. I am getting it done at the Mercy Hospital with the OB who delievered my last baby that didnt survive so she knows my past. I am scared of getting an infection or anything going wrong. I wanted to be knocked out but yesterday she told me it was best to get en epidural, which I am not that happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie10 View Post
    Thanks all for answering

Crumpet: Where did you go? Did you get knocked out or have an epidural? Were you in hosp overnight? Did you bleed at all? How are you now? Can you feel it at all? And pain?
    I will be 14 weeks next Tueday when I get it done. I am getting it done at the Mercy Hospital with the OB who delievered my last baby that didnt survive so she knows my past. I am scared of getting an infection or anything going wrong. I wanted to be knocked out but yesterday she told me it was best to get en epidural, which I am not that happy about.
    i had my stitch done at northpark private in bundoora.....

i had mine done with a spinal block and light sedation, and spend most of it asleep coz i take to sedation well!!
    i stayed in hospital overnight was meant to be 2 but i was really over being in there and just wanted to go home, my OB agreed to it so they let me go early.
    yep i had some mild bleeding, was prob about the same as the first day of ur period, and then i spotted for probably 4 days, only noticed it when i wiped though.
    im doing really well now, have just had a scan today and it looks like the stitch is in a great spot so i cant complain!!!
    its great u know who will be doing it for you, it will make u feel more at ease.

if i didnt have the op i wouldnt know the stitch was there, i was a bit achy for a few days afterwards and occasionally i get a bit heavy but thats pretty normal.

are they going to put u on antibiotics???
    for the 5 nights before my stitch my OB put me on a antibiotic cream that i had to insert and then i had IV antibiotics in hospital for 24hrs and then i was on tablets till yesterday, I was also put on nifedipine to help stop contractions or anythign like that happening.

just check with ur OB when u go in about the antibiotics and im sure they will give u some.

my OB was worried about infection as well, because not only did i have incompetant cervix last pregnancy i scored a major infection so we had to work hard to comabt it just incase....

i delivered at the mercy in jan, at 22weeks, and the staff were amazing!! u will be in good hands hun!

I really think that I am going to ask to be knocked out completely. I can't handle the thought of being awake while they do what they do. I feel bad for wanting that though. I have not had any antibiotics at all, my ob said that I didnt need any, they did a swab and said I had no infection. I did think it was strange that they haven't given me any before hand. And she said that after the stitch I will get swabbed once a week to make sure no infection comes up then.

also were you told that no sex permitted for the rest of the time the stitch is in?

I really think that I am going to ask to be knocked out completely. I can't handle the thought of being awake while they do what they do. I feel bad for wanting that though. I have not had any antibiotics at all, my ob said that I didnt need any, they did a swab and said I had no infection. I did think it was strange that they haven't given me any before hand. And she said that after the stitch I will get swabbed once a week to make sure no infection comes up then.
    i guess OB's do things differently but id prob be questioning the no anitbiotics before hand as long as they are preg safe it cant casue any harm, u could only benefit from it!!

we spoke to my OB and our anesthetic dr and they both said it was better for baby to have as little drugs as possible so while i was terrified ( i was sobbing hysterically waiting to go into the theatre) i did what they recommended.... the spinal wasnt that bad, they did a local first and like all locals it wasnt the most fun thing, but i didnt even notice the actual spinal being done..... definatly ask them for a mild sedation if u are anything like me u will be out cold, i dont remeber anything after the local in my back.
    i to was desperate to be knocked out cold but it wasnt that bad...
    also were you told that no sex permitted for the rest of the time the stitch is in?
    we havnt been told by our OB but ive read on the net its a no go and we decided it wasnt worth the risk so DH isnt seeing any action and hasnt since i got my BFP, becasue we couldnt risk razzing up my cervix.....

if ur feeling uncomfortable hun make another appt with the OB im sure they will be happy to see u to help u feel better....

The hosp just called me then and ive been booked in for next tuesday....there isn't time for another appointment to see the ob now, I guess she knows what shes doing. She does them every week. Thanks for letting me know about your experience. Have you had to get swabs since your stitch?

Hi
    Just wanted to say good luck next week! I had a cerclage for my last pregnancy and delivered my DD safely at 38 weeks when the stitch was cut for delivery. I am now pg again and will get another one when I get to 14 weeks. I'm in Sydney so can't comment on your hospital but thought I'd share my experience.
    Unlike Crumpet, I had no antibiotics or meds at all when my last stitch was put in and was only in day surgery. I also was under GA for the operation as that was how my ob preferred to place the stitch and that was fine with me! I had no bleeding but quite a lot of cramping after the procedure which had me taking panadol and using the hot water bottle for a few days after but once that eased I didn't notice the stitch at all for the rest of the pregnancy. I had no swabs at all (except the routine strep one at the end) but did have regular internal u/s to monitor my CL and ended up spending 3 weeks in hospital on bedrest from week 21-24 of the pregnancy due to shortening of my cervix. That was hard I won't lie, but obviously all worth it. That was the only time I was placed on AB's and that was precautionary while in the hospital.
    All the best with the procedure and I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet babe x

Default Cervical Stitch

Hi Bonnie

I had a cervical suture put in 3 weeks ago when I was 13 weeks pregnant due to an incompetent Cervix. I live in Adelaide and have a private OBGYN.

My first son was born at 23 weeks + 2 days. I am very lucky to say that he survived, is now 15 months old or 11 months corrected and appears to have no ill effects from his prematurity.

I have an incompetent cervix due to having the Lletz proceedure to treat cervical cancer approx 4 years ago.

I had my suture put in under a general. I was told that there is less risk to the baby at 13 weeks to have a general but as your preg progresses, they prefer you to have an epidural. I spent the night in hospital, had IV antibiotics whilst in theatre, woke up with no pain or bleeding. Upon going home, I was on bedrest for 1 week only getting up to shower and go to the toilet.
    I insert a progesterone cream every night via an applicator called Crinone Cream. This is to keep the cervix and uterus supple. I will be using this until I am 30 weeks and then maybe onto Nifedipine from then on. For the first week I felt heavy in the lower abdomen which is the effects of the cream, after a week this went away and I am leading a 'normal' life at present.

From what I understand eventhough infection is one of the risks, it is very uncommon.

However at my 16 week scan, it was revealed that I was showing some slight funnelling. If this continues and has increased by my 19 week scan I will be put on majority bed rest at home.

Don't be frightened. I have a very low pain tolerance and was very scared but all that ended up being un warranted.

Trust me, a stitch and full term baby are a much better alternative to having an extremely premature baby.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

I wish you all the best for your pregnancy
    Last edited by Belinda77; July 22nd, 2010 at 05:19 PM.

HI ladies, Thank you for your responses, well tomorrow is the big day for me. I feel terribly sick in my tummy and am not sure if thats the pregnancy or from nerves. Both of you sound as though your experiences were great. I am leaning towards being knocked out still and am going to ask the aneithtist if I can def do that, as long as its safe. I will let you know how I go, wish me luck

good luck tomorrow hun will be thinking of u!!
    it will all go fine and will be over before u know it!
    make sure u pop back in and let us know how it all went for u!!

Hope today went well for you and you aren't feeling too sore right now

Hi everyone, it didnt happen yesterday after all that, its now been pushed back until next Tuesday....ahhhh.

oh hun ur kidding......

u poor thing hopefully next week doesnt get pushed back are u going public or private??

hope ur doing ok in the mean time did u get to ask any of the questions u wanted to?

I'm going public, they wont push it back again. It will be considered an emergency now. I just had an ultrasound today and my cervix is already starting to shorten....Most of my fears of the op have gone, I just want everything to be okay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast