Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation remedies?

Cool Constipation remedies?

G'day Ladies

I've had the constipation under control until now - I've been having plenty of blueberries and its all been good. But blueberries are now out of season, and I don't like frozen ones.

Any natural remedies?

Ta in advance

kaz

Hey Kazbah,
    I was told to drink Pear Juice, I had one glass per day and that worked well.
    I also used to eat a kiwi fruit skin and all (bit weird at first but you do get used to it) that also worked.
    I had it that bad I had to have medicine in places you shouldn't have too and both of these things help me so much.

Blueberries are still in season and getting cheaper by the minute. I've been buying a couple of punnets a week.

Have you tried psyllium husk? Just mix a dessertspoon of it into orange juice in the morning and you will be running like a train in no time.

It is completely safe during pg.

Try prune juice or some stewed dried fruit with your brekky. Just go easy as you only need a small glass each day for it to work!
    :-)

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I ate plums and they did the trick for me

pear juice (or pears) is good, and psyllium husk (this is what metamucil is, only flavoured & more expensive) is great too.
    You need to be aware though that if you increase your fibre intake you'll also need to increase your water intake too.

confusedegg Guest

TRISH: I agree, Plums do work.. Look at your boys.. time is flying...

Just letting you ladies know that prune juice does work.. What i want to say is have been advised to be careful by MW that too much prune juice is not good.. if you get from too much dirrahea the nerve in the bowel share the same nerve as labour.. i think i said that right... check with your obstr or MW...

I second the warning on prune juice....I drank about 750ml over a period of one or two hours once and the stomach pain it gave me was horrendous!!
    I eat an orange before anything else each morning and the pithyness of it helps me heaps. Might be too acidic if you're pregnant though....

I used NUX VOMICA - homepathic remedy worked with 3 days ... get frm health store.

i tired everything else and uit didnt work this did it was great.

good for all types of stomach/gastro problems

Grapes can also work...

I always recommend warm water for constipation. Drinking warm water helps to soften the stools and it seems to be absorbed quicker... a couple of mugs worth usually does the trick. Also, gentle exercise. Having warm water followed by a gentle walk usually results in some action.

HTH

MG

confusedegg Guest

CHOCOLATECATTY: OMG! i can just imagine the fun you had, because i once had a problem with bowels and DH reminded me that we have 1litre prune juice and i drank 750ml in hour and went out for an hour and just as i made it home i let wind (that was not all). I was not well for rest of the day, but i can say it cleared the plumbing.

Ive since eaten fresh fruit ie. plums grapes, peaches etc and they work..

MOTHER GOOSE: Excuse my ignorance, but is that warm tap water or boiled warm water?

Chris - I always use boiled water cooled to a temp I can tolerate and do the same with patients. My reason is I think it tastes better than straight tap water - I doubt there is a scientific reason to do it that way but it does need to be warmer than luke warm if that makes any sense? You can always cool the boiled water by adding some cold tap water if you don't want to wait for the water to cool on it's own. It can take a little to get used to though...

MG

Hot tap water comes through copper pipes - it's not a great idea to drink it. Boil cold water then let it cool to lukewarm, or mix boiled with cold. I drink regular cold tap water and make sure I'm getting at least 2-2.5 L per day.

I find snacking on dried fruit really helps. I make sure I'm going for walks twice a day and that seems to keep me regular as well. Good luck - it's an awful feeling!

I got told about prune juice also!
    and sultanas, raisins etc.
    and also some one once told me licorice is also quite good too.
    Last edited by Karina; December 7th, 2006 at 06:44 PM.

confusedegg Guest

KARINA: Licourice works a dream.. I Looove licorice.

SASHA & MOTHER GOOSE: Thanks for your tip on hot water.. i can handle cooled boiled water, used to drink hot boiled water, tried hot tap water taste like yuk..
    Last edited by confusedegg; December 7th, 2006 at 07:35 PM.

My acupuncturist told me that dates & pears are great to keep you regular! Also if you are really constipated put 5 drops of sesame oil into a cup of boiling water and drink like a tea.

Warm water with lemon juice first thing in the morning. Can't remember what the lemon does but it works.

I have always suffered with this and have tried most things, even a glass of good olive oil when i was 16years. and yes it was yuck and i dont recomend that one.

i would say that more water (and always drink it warm) is good but your bowel will not nessassary absorbe it and so you will spend most of your day on the loo.lol

What i recomend is a ground mix of LSA (leenseed, sunflower and almond) this is best eaten on top of cereal or youghort although it can be spinkled on salad or pasta! it is best ground FRESH as it is the oils in the seeds that help you to have a smooth passing(TMI I know)and with this it is advisable to keep up the extra fluids as it is more fiber.

And my fav is still pear juice but be careful when buying this as you need to look at how much REAL pear goes into the juice its no good if its only 25% reconstructed juice you might aswell be drinking cordial cause thats all that is.lol prune juice is also good but i cant seem to enjoy the taste and seem to gag alittle.

Hope that helps

also

good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast