Thread: Contact with chickenpox

Question Contact with chickenpox

I know i had the chicken pox as a child...

And now i'm 22weeks pregnant and was playing with a baby with chicken pox (i didn't know he had them) can this cause any harm to blob?!?!?!

worried mum-2-be

Did you have a blood test either before TTC or when you found out you were pg to check your immune status for chicken pox? It is a standard test these days along with rubella (german measles). If so, you should have come up as immune if you had it as a child and you should have no worries. If you haven't had the test, get your GP/OB to organise it as well as the one that checks recent exposure. Talk to them anyway if you want reassurance. I was recently exposed to a childhood disease that I hadn't had as a child and whilst the risks to me and my bubs were small, it certainly made me feel better to have the tests and know it was all OK.

My DH got shinlges (same strain as CP) when I was 6 weeks. I was terrified. Go and have blood test to ckeck your immunity straight away. They should rush the results for you to have them straight away the next day. If you're immune its fine.

Its harmful to the baby mainly in the first tri, it can cause deformities, or the third tri, when they can be born with cp, and have to try and fight the disease themselves. I have no immunity, even though i had them twice (rather badly) as a child, and my son contracted cp when i was about 18w (very mildly) and i was fine.

JUst see you GP as the ladies have mentioned, but just think positive thoughts, you should be fine

We recently had a scare when my daughter contracted roseola & they did tests for rubella just in case as I was preggas, that was just b4 xmas, now my daughter has a couple of spots & I'm not sure if they're chicken pox or not, will wait & see. Although I had a small dose when I was 5yo, which wasn't enough to give immunity so then got it again worse at 19-20yo, so should well & truly be immune.