Thread: do you think this is safe ?

Default do you think this is safe ?

my mum gave me some nice feet stuff for xmas (my feet have been terribly swollen and sore for the last few weeks) anyway there is a cooling spray in it i just thought all of a sudden it may not be preggy safe it contains
    sage ( i know this is no good when BF)
    comfrey
    horsetail
    menthol
    among other things these were the things that made me wonder i know peppermint oil is a no no during pregnancy though im not sure why.
    anyway hoping someone help TIA

I think that you can not use comfrey during pregnancy. Cant remember why but I will see if I can find out for you

From an essential oil point of view:

Peppermint has emmenagogue properties, which is probably why it's not considered safe to use during pregnancy. Some aromatherapists consider it safe to use topically (i.e. on the skin) during pregnancy, but not orally, but others will avoid it during pregnancy altogether to be safe. I've been avoiding it myself (which is a PITA, cause I normally use heaps of peppermint for headaches/migraines and to prevent vomiting, which would have been perfect in my first trimester).

Sage is also generally considered unsafe during pregnancy, because it can have an influence on your oestrogen production and can cause uterine contractions.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news .... it sounds like it was a lovely thought from your Mum ...

If you're looking for some good essential oils for swollen feet, I've been using lime, tangerine, sweet orange and grapefruit, which have diuretic properties (they're also all relatively cheap essential oils lol).

thanks for that . . . i had a feeling it wasnt good !?! i didnt realise comfrey wasnt safe though it is in my eczema cream which i was told was PG safe ? maybe just cos it is a very small amount Cheriei have also used peppermint oil for nausea but i have also heard of a blend which was ginger , spearmint and *something* LOL i wish they had one for Pg brain !!

Spearmint and ginger are both fine
    I used spearmint instead of peppermint too which helped.

I think birth is the best solution for pg brain lol

kerry Guest

Cherie... at birth pg brain just becomes mum brain and their really isn't much difference. sorry