Thread: dry mouth, always thirsty... paranoid?

Default dry mouth, always thirsty... paranoid?

Hi,

I'm finding I seem to have a constant dry mouth & I'm always thirsty (more so recently). And I seem to be constantly on the toilet (but then, that will happen if you drink a lot!). I don't know if this is normal for 17+ weeks? I also still feel a bit crappy, particularly after dinner (but my m/s was slow to go after first tri, so it could be just a legacy from that). My paranoid fear is that it could be the sign/start of GD... and my dad has type 2 diabetes & I'm a bit overweight (BMI: 28), so I know that adds to GD risk.

Am I just being paranoid? I've read that apparently most people with GD don't actually get any symptoms. Or does everyone feel get thirsty etc, and it's just normal pregnancy symptoms? I feel kinda silly even ask this, but this is the safest place to post my "stoopid" questions

Thanks,
    Belfie
    Last edited by belfie; April 25th, 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: how could i forget about the peeing too?!!?!

Hi belfie!!

I dont know anything really about GD, but i know i have been thristy my whole pregnancy!! And VERY tired from about 15 weeks, i would come home and sleep almost straight away!! and it was just after the morning sickness sunsided.

BUT..... thats me....
    If you are worried, and you think you have reason to be concerned, tell your Dr, and they may do an early screening for diabetes, or even if they just do a blood test to get your sugar levels, and keep an eye on your blood pressure.

I hope it's all just normal pregnancy fun for you!!
    Take care

Hey Belfie,

It is a symptom of GD I had GD with Noah and I DEFINITELY had the thirsty symptoms but a lot of preg ladies get that symptom anyway.

Also GD doesn't usually develop until around the 28week mark which is why they test then so I wouldn't stress about it! Maybe just let your hospital know if you are concerned

Belfie - Unfortunately I think if a parent has type 2 then your chances of developing GD are a bit higher. My mother has type 2 and I have GD. Not saying that it's definitely the case for you though...so I hope it's just you being extra thirsty because you are pregnant!!

I was extra thirsty all through my pregnancy and didn't have GD. I was also peeing a lot as a consequence

GD usually develops between 24 and 28 weeks so it is probably too early to tell if it is that, however women at high risk can be tested earlier. Risk factors for GD do include being overweight, having a family history of diabetes, having high blood pressure, being over 30 and having previous babies over 4kg.

If you are worried I would ask your OB to assess your risk and see if you do need to be tested earlier.

Don't stress. I've been quite thirsty during this pregnancy & having frequent toilet trips too but I don't have GD. I've just been through the testing and was 100% sure I'd have it.

I have 3 of the risk factors - relatives with type 2 diabetes (my dad & my grandmother and uncle on my mum's side), I was overweight before I got pregnant (my BMI was slightly higher than yours) and being 41 also increases my chances. I had been craving sweet things like lollies and chocolate so I thought that had to mean something as well, but it didn't. I had no adverse reaction to the glucose drinks like so many women do so again thought that meant I must have GD - it didn't.

If when you do get around to the testing you fail the first test (like I did) don't stress. I only slightly failed and when I did the 2 hour test I passed with flying colors.

Basically there's no way of telling until you have the test so put it out of your mind for now as it's really not worth worrying about unless you get told you have it.

Aaah fantastic Satya & everyone who replied, you've put my mind at rest - thank you! Plus since posting, I felt like I was actually a bit less thirsty... lol paranoia is a nasty beast! And it's just soooo easy to find extra things to worry about!

And as always, I'm feeling glad i asked the question, because now I don't have to worry! to everyone.

Satya, I still can't believe your ticker... seems like yesterday you were in the high teens! And very glad to hear you don't have GD too.