Thread: Fever in Pregnancy

Default Fever in Pregnancy

Hi Lovelies,

I know the guidelines say we should avoid elevating our body temp during pregnancy so how does this relate to fever? It's boiling hot here (35+) and I have developed a cold (how ironic ) and have a fever. Is the fever a drama considering I'm PG? I'm just under 6 weeks from my EDD. I'm doing everything I can to keep my fever down without taking panadol but not having much success...

TIA

MG

Panadol is quite ok to have in pg, MG. I'd be doing all the things we suggested in your other thread to keep cool but personally I'd take Panadol over fever any day.

Hope you feel better soon, honey.

Quote Originally Posted by wardygirl View Post
    Panadol is quite ok to have in pg, MG. I'd be doing all the things we suggested in your other thread to keep cool but personally I'd take Panadol over fever any day.

Hope you feel better soon, honey.
    Thanks Wardy - I know it's safe to use - I just hate the stuff. I'm keeping cool as much as I can... I'm more worried about the effects of fever on the Bubba.

Medically, I don't know enough about that. Someone like Alan can answer that one, however if you can manage yourself and maintain your temp at an as close to normal temp as possible it would be better. How elevated is it? (sorry lovely, DH was on pc as I was on the phone - yes for 2 hrs! - so I couldnt' reply sooner.)

One of the ladies on the SCN with me had her baby because her temp got quite high - she had a chest infection. her son was born at 26w. Definitely get yourself checked out, high temps can be dangerous to you and bubs...

Tee hee - I know what you mean Rach - my DH decided to do "maintenence" on our internet last night so I lost it for a bit. Gggrrrrrr.
    It's not elevated enough to go to hospital. I feel a little better this morning but then I slept for about 11 hours with just 3 loo stops and I'm now sitting in my underwear not doing anything! I've been sitting under fans or in the A/C, having cool showers, cold flannels on the key points (necks, forehead, groin, armpits, back of knees) and draping flannels on my feet whilst they're elevated (trying to avoid edema).
    I'm an RN but just don't know enough about pregnancy stuff - doesn't get covered in our degree and I don't work on a related ward... all my experience is surgical, peadiatric and AOD. Apart from my Ambo days. But with my body creating a temp to fight the virus, I'm not sure how that affects bub. I'm sure s/he will be fine but just checking...

MG
    At 34+ weeks your baby will be fine. I would only be a little concerned if your temp was above 39 for more than a couple of hours. Should your temp get to this I would strongly suggest that you do take panadol even though you don't like them.

Thanks Alan. That makes me feel better! Thankfully the fever seems to have broken - now I just have to get my nose under control! Who even gets a cold in Summer?

hey mg, i had a cold last week and the doctor said I need to go straight back (or to hospital) if my temp gets higher than 37.5...which isn't very high but apparently it is for pregnant women? I dunno!

Have your feet in cold water, it works wonders!

Hi MG how you feeling today? I posted in Belly buddies but it got lost, as you will read. I hope your temp has eased and your nose has stopped running away from you!! Thinking of you!
    Jen

Glad to hear your fever broke MG. I hope can keep that nose under control. BTW, all my family are struggling with colds. It's this stupid weather - hot and 35* one day, cool and 22 the next! Typical Melbourne!

Thanks girls. Jen - I feel bad again. I think I overdid it yesterday and so my body cracked it at me. So I took the day off work today. My nose has gone nuts... But it will go away soon...I don't get sick often.

Rach - it's crazy isn't it? I always joke that if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change! LOL. Hope your family recovers quickly too hon.