Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gastroschisis Update

Hey everyone

Sorry its taken me so long to get on. Unfortunatly Ronald Mac house doesn't have great internet and BB is blocked.

Hannah Marie was born on the 10th of December via C/S at 34 weeks weighing in at 3lb 12oz. Came out kicking and screaming and hasn't looked back since!
    She has amazed everyone in the last 10 days. We were told before she was born that there was no way that they'd get the bowel back in and that a silo would need to be used.
    They got all her bowel back in and she only has a few stitches in the middle of her belly button. I'm so proud of her.
    She was taken off her ventilator on tuesday (14th) morning and then that night she was moved out of intensive care.
    We were told that it would be over 2 weeks before she could feed and they actually started feeding her yesterday. It was 1ml every 2 hours and today its 1ml every hour and in a few hours they're going to see if she can handle 2ml an hour.
    She hasn't done very many poo's yet, she did 2 at the Women's, but has only done a couple tiny ones since being at the Childrens.

I'm so happy with how my c/s went. I guess I just worried about nothing. It all went really well and I was off all painkillers except panadol from sunday morning.
    We even got a hold of Hannah before she was taken away, they wrapped her in a blanket and layed her on my shoulder for about ten minutes. Even took some photos of us 3 and of DP and Hannah.

Got a bit of an issue with my milk. I've been told to express for 10min a side every 3 hours and that "you can never have too much milk!!"
    Well, I've got too much milk and they're trying to reduce it! lolz.
    I'm giving about 120ml every 3-4 hours and leaking really really badly! My poor boobs! I slept all night and woke up this morning after not expressing for nearly 10 hours and thought they were going to explode!

Hannah has been going well pain-wise. It was horrible to see her "drying out" from the morphine on Monday (13th), she had the shakes all day.
    Today they've taken her off regular panadol and only giving it to her when she seems she needs it.

Still no idea as to when we'll get home, but the way she's going it won't be long away.
    Aiming for Australia Day.

Thanks again for all your support and I'll try and update when I can.

--Charlotte.

I just found this thread hun. So glad bubs (and you) are doing well. It sounds like you have a real tough cookie on your hands! I hope you get to take her home soon!

<3 CL

How wonderful, massive congratulations! You sound amazing to have so much milk, expressing is never easy and often made harder by separation from your bub, it sounds like you are made to be a mum. I hope Hannah continues to thrive and you get her home as soon as is safe xx

Thankyou for the update - and congratulations on the birth of baby Hannah it sounds like she's a real little trooper and I'm so glad the op went well and better than expected!

Sounds like you needed that 10hr sleep, I can just imagine how explosive your chest was! Your milk will settle down, but just think of the milk bank you're building in the meantime

Congrats again and keep us posted on how you're both going you're doing a fantastic job

How wonderful that she is here and going so well! Maybe they can use some of your milk for some of the other bubs? You are going so well at it, I'd keep going to build up a stock if ever you have a time where you don't get much or you just need some ebm on hand for at home.

Wow Charlotte! You have both done so, so well That is just awesome news and by the sound of it Hannah will beat everyone's expectations and be home before you know it.
    As Trill says can you donate or freeze some milk in case you need it later?
    Massive congratulations, I really am amazed at how well both of you have come through this.

Congratulations!!! Happy to hear everything is going along swimmingly!

Welcome baby Hannah!

Congratulations!!!! I have everything crossed for you that she will be home with you guys soon

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    I'd keep going to build up a stock if ever you have a time where you don't get much or you just need some ebm on hand for at home.
    Great advice, I wish I had done the same

WOO HOO! Congratulations, and well done to you all!

Make sure you print off this thread to look back on over the years, it's a terrific story.

xoxoxo

wow, what a journey you guys are on!
    congratulations on the arrival of baby Hannah, she sure sounds like a great little fighter!

Charlotte, what great news about baby Hannah! She sounds like a very determined and strong young lady.

Big hugs to you - you have done an amazing job so far and you seem to have such a positive attitude. Keep it up!!!

What fabulous news!! Congrats on the safe arrival of your beautiful little princess.

Congratulations on the arrival of Hannah! I hope she goes from strength to strength and is home with you soon.

I have been following your thread since you started it, and just wanted to wish you a huge congratulations on the arrival of the gorgeous Hannah Marie! I am sure she will continue to amaze everyone around her and you will soon be taking her home!

Congratulations on the birth of Hannah. Hope she continues to do well and is home soon

Hey, guys.

Its so hard for me to get on here at the moment. Been so flat out with Hannah.

4 weeks old today and I can't believe it! She's just under 2 kilos now and is on 47mls every 3 hours and well as getting loads and loads of breast contact. She still has next to no idea what to do, which is incredibly frustrating, but shell get there. Yesterday was the first time she actually sucked on me. And when I lay her down to put her on my boob she opens her mouth.
    She's getting there, but she won't really suck very well.
    Also, she very rarely vomits which is amazing. The doctors are amazed at how well she has been doing. She's never looked back.
    Been putting her on the boob as DP puts the milk down her tube so she gets the idea that whens she's on me she gets full.
    Being transfered to Bendigo on Monday because thats closer to home and there's nothing more that the Childrens can offer her.
    She just has to establish feeding and then we can go home.

Fingers crossed we get home soon.

Thanks again!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Oh wow congratulations what an awesome job you are doing and well done to Hannah!!

Sounds like you're doing really well Charlotte - keep up the good work!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast