Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Default Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Welcome to the BellyBelly Gestational Diabetes Genral Chatter thread
    If you have any questions or experiences with Gestational Diabetes that you'd like to share or discuss, please feel free to do so in this thread.

Your Moderators of this forum are:

Tanya
    Ambah - Senior Moderator

Your Administrator of this forum is Kathryn If at any time you'd like to make a suggestion (which we always welcome!), provide any feedback for this forum or make a complaint, please contact her by email or if you prefer one of the moderators.

Looking for Moderator and Admin Emails? Please see this post.

We appreciate all your feedback as it does help to make our forums a much happier, relaxed place to chat! Your comments will be taken seriously and treated with confidentiality, so please feel free to contact us anytime!

Don't forget to read the two BellyBelly threads on Gestational Diabetes:

Article by Henci Goer on Gestational Diabetes: The Emperor Has No Clothes
    Gestational Diabetes & Induction

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/medi...atter-4-a.html is your old thread

Thanks for the new thread, Astrolady.

Does anyone know why it's so hard to control your BSLs when you're sick?
    It's so frustrating. You'd think the levels would drop and be really low. Well, that's what I think. Lol.

I'm also craving lemonade icypoles cause they always make me feel better when I've got a headcold.

Grrrrrrr.

Thanks for the new thread Astrolady!

My levels actually went up a few points when I had the flu, but apparently they normally go up if there's an infection. But not 100% sure oon this.

Had my u/s and according to the report bubs is weighing in at 3.7kg, which is nearly the same weight as ds was full term (8lb 3oz). He is definitely a he. He has very chubby cheeks and has a good deal of fat around his middle. His head circ was just over 35cm! and his belly just under 35cm. So a definite fatty.
    Will have to see what they say tomorrow as to whether they will induce me earlier than 38 weeks now.

Do you want to be induced earlier then 38wks?

I hope your u/s weight was a little off and your little bubba is really smaller then they say.
    My bubba has chubby cheeks too. Little chubby checker. hehehe.
    You didn't have GD last time did you? So you may just make bigger babies naturally and the GD may not play any role in it, if you know what I mean.

I got a 3.7 reading this morning. No wonder I felt a bit funny. Lol.

Hi Ladies,

2nd Day off work but already I'm doing some contract work which is keeping me busy. Our bathroom renovation will hopefully be done in a few days so i can go home again (staying at my parents)..

BSL's have been fine and OB was happy with them. My belly (i think technical name is fundus) is measuring 1 week less than what I actually am and only put on 800g so that was good. Still have major swelling in my legs and OB has said i need to stop wearing my socks and go and get some "health socks" which apparently are for Diabetics and have no elastic at the top to help with circulation.

Feeling very uncomfortable and feel huge.. OB said that if my levels stay good then he will let me go naturally and may even let me go over if I don't go myself. That was pretty comforting to hear and no mention of c/s.

Endo said I can stop testing BSL straight after baby arrives and go back to a normal diet.. I might double check the length of time to take the GTT. I wonder if it'll be the 1 hour test or the 2 hour test???? Good to hear from ladies who have had their babies and taken GTT again and passed with flying colours..

You know what, I have no idea if I keep taking my levels after the baby or anything.
    I wish my OB wasn't away these past 2 weeks, cause I have all these questions.

grr.

Great news about letting you go to your EDD or over, Snowchickie.

Hi Guys.

Well I'm going to be induce on 31st July at 38 weeks exactly. I may have to go in hte night before for gels though if I haven't started dilating.
    Dr was happy with me. Not overly concerned with my BP just said to keep monitoring.
    She said the same thing as you Tenny. Bubs is big all over which lends her to think that he's mainly big naturally, but the fat layer is probably from the GD.
    She said that she would be more concerned if his head was smaller but his belly was bigger.
    I was never tested for GD with ds so have no ide if I had it with him or not.
    So I see my normal GP (who's still going to be away so will see then new one) next thursday, he will examine me and if I have started dilating then I go in on the following thursday morning. If I haven't started dilating then I go in on the wed night. No mention of if I start dilating inbetween though lol.

Anethesist made a good case for having an epi though. I know I am at greater risk of having a c/s for various reasons, but was hoping to wait til later in my labor to decide on epi or not, not too late obviously though. But he is encouraging me to have one early if I want to have one. He has made some very good points so will have to mull that one over.

Registra has increased my protaphane. Have bumped it up by 1 unit to 7 units at night. WooHoo huge amounts! I need to bump it up by 2 units every 4 days until my bsl stays under 5 at fasting. She wants to limit the amount of fattening up that bubs does between now and getting induced.
    She has also put my on Novarapid at dinner time. 4 units and bumpup by 2 units every 2 days until bsl is under 6 units post dinner.
    So now I have two needles every night. Oh well only 12 more sleeps to go!

Dr also said that I am 4/5ths above brim, so at least he has started to drop now.

Mum and I got some great bargains, particularly at ToysRUs yesterday. We got the Barn Yard Animals quilt set for $50! It was reduced because someone had returned it without the packaging. Nothing wring with it though. Also got sets of 2 leggins, tops and body suits by OshKosh for $5 a set. Normally would have cost $75 but I payed $15. We didn't really need them but I couldn't pass it up.

We have sooooo many clothes now. Plus my boss dropped over a huge basket full of stuff the girls have all put together and there were more clothes in there too.
    I tell you this bubs is going to be the best dressed bubs in Victor!

Anyway enought of a ramble.

How are you feeling Tenny. No movement at the station yet!?!

I was getting BH every couple of minutes walking around the shopping centre yesterday. Mum was all concerned. But they were only BH. As soon as I sat down inhte car and rested they went.

Hope everyone's doing well today.

g'day ladies,

I'm a newbie here with supposedly "undiagnosable" GD lol (just to be complicated). I failed my GCT screening, then did the GTT, but vomited after 1 1/2 hours (oh those lucky folks in the waiting room! ) - so they only got my baseline & 1 hour bloods. My obs referred me to an endo, cos my 1 hr blood result was high, my dad has type II diabetes & I've not been feeling great. I also have a thing called fructose malabsorption (FM), so I'm on a pretty restricted diet already (no wheat, onion, some vegs, most fruit). So endo's opinion was no point re-testing (i'll just barf again - he thinks the FM didn't help there), so just treat me as if I have GD and see how we go.

I'm off to see the diabetes educator on Fri and then checking BSL's etc starts I guess. I got through my mopey/weepy/"it's not fair" bit last week... dunno what i'm gonna eat if I'm out & about but guess I'll work that out (the onion/wheat cuts out a fair amount of easily avail food already! arrrgh!)

Love to hear any wise tips that you all have & get to know you all. Sure i'll have heaps more questions as we go along...

Welcome to the group Belfie!
    Our previous thread GD#4 has lots of info but I'll try to summarise what I have posted before for you.
    You are allowed to have 2-4 serves of carbs per amin meal (brekky, lunch and dinner) and 1-2 for snacks. A serve of carbs is 15g of carbohydrates. Check you food nutrition panel on products to work that out.
    You Diabetes Educator will probably give you some info about it all anyway.
    Are you booked in to see a Dietician? I found the Dietician great to explain all about the carbs etc rather than the DE who was good for the insulin, etc info. If you can see a Dietician aswell.
    So for me I usually have 4 weetbix, and small handful (a heaped tablespoon) of sultanas and skim milk for brekky.
    2 poached eggs on 2 slices of low gi toast or a small can of baked beans on toast is great for lunch. I unfortunately have great trouble eating salad vegies (damn taste buds!) so salads are out for lunch, otherwise they are good too.
    Dinner - grilled lean meat, low gi vegies.
    It was also recommended to me to have a snack at supper after I have taken my post dinner bsls.
    The one product I can't recommend enough is the Jarrah Hot Choc or Choccolatte. It is made with hot water not milk so there are only 3gms of carbs per serve. It's about the best way to get that chocolate fix.

Anyway I'm probably confusing you right now so I'll stop.

If you have any q's don't hesitate to ask. And good luck with it all. You will eventually get your head around it even though it may not seem like it right now.

Hey girlsss!
    How're you all doin'?

I had my bubbakins on saturday night.
    Hayden Alexander - 8lb 6oz.
    He's doing great. BSLs were perfect. Couldn't be happier with that.

Mine have been alright. I've been sick though and on anitbiotics, so it's hard to know if they have gone back to normal.
    Only time will tell though.

I hope your testing is going great.
    xx

Welcome Hayden!!!

That's fantastic news Tenny. So glad to hear that the levels are good too.
    Hope your keeping well other than the ab's.
    I've been fine. Bubs is moving on down so to speak and we are now counting the days til next wed night.
    I've had to bump my insulin up a little but I'm still in single figures.

Take Care and keep in contact.

Tennykins Congratulations great to here he is doing well Hope you are feeling ok

Ive been missing in action lately I have been popping in to see how all is going though

I had my hospital appointment yesterday my blood sugars have been very high after breakfast and a few highs after dinner they have been up in the 10 so I have to add an injection in at breakfast now and increase all my other amounts of insulin
    but I haven't been feeling very well the last few days but they said I had sugars 4+ ketones 3+ white blood cells and blood in my urine I rang them today to check if any thing showed up in the second sample I gave for testing and it was inconclusive they dont want another one Im just a bit surprised they haven't requested another one esp with the risk of an UTI and not to mention the high ketones may be im over reacting

But I see some of you are nearing the end now Ive 6 weeks left till my due date may be 4 if they decide to induce me at 38 weeks I have a scan in two weeks cant wait for that

any way hope you are all keeping well

Hiya Niamh

So good to hear from you.

What insulin are you on now? I'm on 6 units of NovaRapid at dinner time and going up to 9 units of Protaphane at bedtime.

A bit weird about your urine test though. I guess they know what they are on about though.
    When do you see your dr next?

Congratulations tennykins and welcome Hayden!!!
    How cute is that signture photo with the little ears!!! aahhhhhhh

Belfie - Welcome to the group.. Sounds like lots of fun ahead with food choices. It really is just trial and error though to determine what your body can take and what it can't. Everybody is different on how they react to specific foods which makes it tricky but you'll get plenty of advice here and suggestions. If you look back over our old thread you'll see where I've posted food suggestions that I've had good results with so that can give you a point of reference.

My average day would consist of approx:
    B'fast: 2 weet bix with strawberries, box of sultanas and maybe a few slices of peach with skim milk + a cup of tea
    Morning Snack: Piece of fruit like a pear or an apple
    Lunch: Multigrain Low GI wrap with tuna, tomato, cheese and capsicum plus a Low GI yoghurt
    Afternoon Snack: Couple of vita weet 9 Grains with cream cheese or a mandarin/piece of fruit
    Dinner: Can't go wrong with lean meat, sweet potato and huge serve of vegies and maybe even a multigrain dinner roll. I've even been managing hot chips instead of the sweet potato. I even got away with potato bake last night which i made up with mainly sweet potato but had another 1 medium potato in there also..
    Supper: Cup of warm milk, sometimes with a teaspoon of milo and a few rich tea or snack right biscuits..

Not much news from me. Same old same old. Am back at home now after 9 days of bathroom renovations but now we have a nice new bathroom. I had carpet cleaner in today to do the carpets and lounge so now it's just prep for baby to arrive. We will be getting out the nursery furniture this weekend and start getting the room together. I also need to pack my bags for hospital amongst plenty of other things. Considering I'm on maternity leave I'm still doing alot of consultancy work so it's keeping me very busy!

Levels have been good. Had a VERY low one after b'fast this morning. I had porridge with fruit (s'berry, 1/2 banana and box of sultanas) and only got a 3.7 which was bizarre. Was SSSOOO yummy though so I'll attack it again tomorrow morning. Went for lunch with a friend today who is 2 days overdue and missed testing but got a 5.9 about 3.5 hours after lunch so I'm assuming it was probably in the 6 range 2 hours afterwards but could be very wrong. Either way had a sensible dinner (baked beans and scrambled eggs on toast with a side of vegies).. Even managed to sneak an iced donut yesterday as my afternoon snack and out of curiosity tested 2 hours later and only got a 4.5 which was good. Next OB apt is next week and then I move to weekly visits.

Hope everyone is doing well. Chat soon.
    Belinda

Tenny - congrats on your gorgeous bubba boy Hayden!

Belinda and Becci, thanks so much for the tips & average day details, that really helps . I'm finding I tend to feel pretty average all morning, and I notice that your breakfasts are higher energy probably than I've been having, could that mean I should be trying to have more, or higher GI brekkie's? I guess I'll know better once I see my BSL's, and as you say, everyone is different.

I've had a quick squiz through chatter #4, and I'll come back to it again once i've seen the DE and have an idea what i'm on about! Becci, I'm not too sure re the dietician, I'll ask on Fri and see what they say. I don't know if I'd need to find one to cover both conditions, or whether they'll have one that can do that (used to be not many of 'em covered FM). So saying, I have a reasonable idea of low GI foods, so dunno if he thought I was more clued up than I am (heaven forbid! )

Saw my obs today and my fundal height was 31 (right on 30 weeks today) so I guess that's a good sign that bubby isn't TOO big (hopefully) at this stage. Also bubby was head down which made me happy.

Belinda - 9 days bathroom reno's does NOT sound like fun, but nice on the new bathroom!! Have fun doing your nursery. I've just emptied out my spareroom and am waiting for nursery furniture to arrive (next month), can't wait - will be heaps of fun.

Did any of you tend to experience any GD symptoms? I know they say that most women don't, and I guess I'm just getting paranoid wondering if how I'm feeling is normal 3rd tri or GD influenced..?

Thanks again,
    Belfie

Hi Girls! -

Congrats Tennykins and welcome to the world Hayden!! I hope all is going still going well and you are getting settled.

Becci - good luck for the 31st! Going in the night before will be for the gels to get the process moving if you need them. I know some girls go home after the gels and come back the next morning, I asked and got told no, but worth asking if that appeals to you.

Snowchickie - good to hear that the bathroom is done - enjoy it!

Hi Belfie - welcome!

So far Thomas has mastered breatfeeding (eventually!!), he was back over his birth weight by 2 weeks (around his due date - I was induced at 37.5 weeks), and has grown 3cms. I am just waiting for him to wake up for a feed.

Hello

Petals great to here all is going well for you how you feeling

Becci 4 of novarapid at breakfast and lunch and 8 of insulstard at night time the same as Protaphane just a diff name.

yea a bit weird all right feeling better today and keeping a very close eye on my sugars Im not back in to the hospital again for another two weeks the baby doctor actually didn't want to see me in two she said a couple of weeks then asked if i was having a scan so my scan is in two weeks so seeing her after she was very lax not to happy with that at all

Thanks ladies. <3

Becci - So you're getting induced next week? YAY! Are you looking forward to it?

Snowchickie - Your levels are really goooooood. So are you having an induction or just waiting for things to go naturally?

Petals - Great to hear about Thomas! Way to go Thomas!

Belfie - I had no symptoms at all.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast