Thread: how early can it be detected?

Default how early can it be detected?

or will i be tested for it. GD that is - i am on fortnightly monitoring of my insulin atm and was wondering how far into a pg do they let you go... before they test you for it...???

I think i was tested at 28 weeks.

Melinda Guest

I had the glucose tolerance test (GTT) at around 28 weeks also.

However, if you are already having your insulin levels monitored now, prior to PG, then they may well test earlier given these circumstances.

i guess we will just have to see how it goes ..... 8-[ when i am pg of course...

If you mention your medical history to your doctor, they will more than likely do a fasting glucose as part of your antenatal bloods.

I was diabetic from 10 weeks with my third pregnancy but was already doing fasting blood sugars at home so had a fair idea that things were already on the down hill slide.

Hope this helps - fingers crossed that you get pregnant really soon!

Best wishes

Custardtart Guest

The research I did indicated that GD sometimes doesn't onset until after 20 weeks pregnancy, and can come on later than that. If you are going to develop GD it might not show at all in early pregnancy, so there's not a lot of point in routinely testing for it early.

In your situation, though, where you have an existing complication, I'm sure they would be more than willing to monitor your symptoms more closely.

Kerrie

I am being tested at 10 weeks and again at 26 weeks at the request of my endocrinologist. I don't have diabetes but do have very high insulin levels, so I'm at hight risk for GD already :evil:

mysterygirl Guest

i will be seeing the Ob in just over a week so i guess will discuss it with him then...

kerry Guest

If you are already having monitoring done I would assume you will have the 2 hour GTT fairly soon. Then it does not indicate GD you will still have to have it tested again at the 26-28w mark. Again they are likely to skip the GCT and just opt for the big 2 hour one.

Wishing you the best for s H&H pg.

Hi AJ,

I was tested and diagnosed at 7-8 weeks as I had symptoms and I had had GD in my first pregnancy. ( I didnt have diabetes in between the pregnancies as far as the post pregnancy and 12 month tests showed).

We wont know until post pregnancy if it is def. GD or full blown. I will remark that it is behaving like GD at the moment as it is changing as I get more pregnant.

Goodluck!

kaety