Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to make a choice...

Unhappy I have to make a choice...

A little back track... I have depression, have had it since I was at school. I have been medicated on & off (taking myself off).

With DD I didnt take my meds while PG and I was a nightmare to be around but soon after her birth I went back on them and when I felt fine I took myself off them which started a cycle of me going back on them, taking myself off etc...

This time we have decided for me to stay on them while PG (I want to stay on them and not go off them cause I need to be on them), it was a hard decision but with many talks with my GP, Hospital Dr, midwives & other health professionals etc we made our decision knowing there are some risks etc but the benifit of me being on the meds outway the risks...

I was told it was best I stayed on a low dosage so thats what I have been on but over the last 2 weeks have felt they havnt done anything and the last few days I have been a nightmare to be around again.

After going to a number of appoinments today(GP, Hospital Dr, midwives & other health professionals) I have been left with 2 choices..

1) Stay on the low dosage im on, feel its doing nothing, put stress on the baby, myself, my DH & DD for the nest 15ish weeks, have high blood pressure, have the chance I will have to have him early etc

or

2) Go on a much higher dosage & have bubs in special care for the 1st 3ish days after being born because of the withdrawls he will be having (this is what I have been told today)

DH & I have no idea what to do.. cause either way its bad. I cant put him under stress for the next 15 weeks but I dont want him to have withdrawls for a few days once he is born.
    Last edited by Zee; April 10th, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

lindsay, its a hard decisiobn to make, can you up your dosage a little rather than go to the much higher doase straight away? if you dont mind me asking what are you on and how much

Isn't there something else they can put you on which would be better for bubs?

Oh Linz....thats a tough call babe. Both are not easy.....i dont know what to say...but i think Jols suggestion of up the dose a little bit rather then a huge jump is a good idea.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

ohh u poor thing sounds very hard.

Personally I would do the 2nd option as that way you can enjoy pregnancy and your DD and DH and not be stressed out and feel well.

Having baby in SCN for a short time is a small price to pay to know that you will be well and fit to care for baby.

If you dont increase dose you may increase your risk of PND which could end up with you needing differnet drugs or even time in a mother baby unit which is time away from DH and DD.

We are all here or you hun hope this helps a little bit

Im on Zoloft, its the only anti depressant thats in catagory 2 that I can take & the other anti depressants are a catagory 3 and they wont put you on anything catagory 3 while PG as its far to risky.

Sorry I should have the next dosage up is what I will be having but thats double what im on now.

These are my only 2 choices... and we are leaning more towards option 2.

i was on zoloft too, why not split the tablet so have a 50% increas rather than 100% increase, try that, but give it time to work

I am on zoloft too and took it throughout my pg.

What mg you on?? I was fine not to have bubs in special care when she was born although they did prefer me to stay in hosp for 3 days after the birth but there was no need for special care. So that might be a option.

is it possible to up your dosage for the next 10 weeks then lower it again before birth, i was given that option as well??

kirsty_lee Guest

Lindsay, im on 150mg of zoloft, my doctor has not told me bubs will need to be in special care or anything.. most she will have is a bit of the shakes which wear off quite quickly. Zoloft has been proven in a high number of cases to be the most safe during preg and bf because alot of research has been done on it. hope all goes well

I will be on 150MG aswell once my dosage goes up, I have some more appointments to go to on Monday to discuss it further with DH there aswell.

I dont know but the hospital I will be having him at have made it clear to me today that he will be taken into special care for a few days to watch with withdrawls,shakes etc, maybe diff hospitals do do that I dont know.

Kirsty-lee -It helps me knowing someone else is taking the dosage that I will be taking if we go with that option.

Beatrix- No that wasnt mentioned to me all so I will bring that up on Monday.

AJP- Thanks, I will bring that up on monday aswell

kirsty_lee Guest

No worries lindsay, it is stressful I know,i was concerned about taking it while pg.. doctor said to me if i wanted to i could cut my dosage down closer to the due date to help ease withdrawls but it's already a very anxious time as is and i dont want to make it worse. But also i was told that if your bfing it will help because the withrawls will be minimal as bubs will be still getting some from the milk.

yeah true it is a anxious time around birth so maybe thats why it wasnt out to me today to cut it down closer to birth.

I never thought about the BFing helping as some of it will be in the milk so withdrawls wont be as bad, thankyou im feeling more confident to go with the increase.

I guess im just feeling so overwhelmed and the though of having him taken into special care instead of being with me the whole time upset me...really it could be worse.

Matryoshka Guest

Lindsay, my experience was very similar to yours. This time i made the choice to stay on Lexapro 10mg which i'd been on since DS was 8 months old. In the past couple of months i have not been coping and only when it reached the point where i have been constantly anxious, not able to sleep and i knew it was affecting both DS and possibly DS in the womb, did i decide to go up a dose. I'm now on 20mg and feeling better.

I truly believe that the stress responses your body creates due to low mood/stress fluctuations (anxiety/depression) do have an effect on the baby in the womb. Its almost impossible to measure what this would be though, but just by knowing my DS and the fact i did not take medication and suffered anxiety through my last pregancy, i really felt it was better to be on it this time and especially at a level where it was working. Recently the 10mg felt like it was not working- the DR said this can be due to increased fluid levels diluting the medicaion and/or weight gains.

As for Zoloft vs Lexapro..... i read a substantial amount of research material/studies on both zoloft and lexapro during pregnancy and breastfeeding and decided lexapro was the one with the least instance of issue for the baby. Apparently the withdrawals are minute and can be combatted by breast feeding as baby still receives some small amount, so of course i'll be breastfeeding. I've also spoken the psychology department of my hospital and they assure me the baby will be fine after the birth and no need for any special check up let alone special care! in fact i go home after just 24 hours, and could do sooner if i wanted.

SO, i don't know if switching medications is an option?? Apart from that i would go up a dose, its important that you feel better now and are able to manage as theres still a good 3 months + left. I can't speak from your hospital but their opinions sound a bit extreme... especially as others have been on it and not had this occur. Can you do some more research or get a second opinion??? Certainly separation from the baby would do more harm that good, and i wouldn't condone that at all, surely that can't be the only options????

Anyway based on myself, i would go up a dose or switch to lexapro if that is an option. If not, then just try to get another opinion or do some more research in to it....

Hope that helps Linds, thinking of you

I was put on Zoloft the same dose with my daughter about six weeks before she was born and at 6weeks of pregnancy with my son. He was born at 31 weeks other complications nothing to do with the meds and was in the special care unit for a few days and then in and out for 2 weeks with me in hospital as well. I checked with DH and he doesn't remember anyone talking about withdrawal from meds or anythings involving my medication.

Remember special care doesn't mean that you cannot feed or be with him it just means extra monitoring and care.

All the best Lottie

Hi Lindsay,

In the end you will do what is right for you and your family. As a clinical psychologist im inclined to say to go for option 3 which is to remain on a low dose med and opt to see a clinical psych in your area for therapy- preferrable one who practices mindfulness/CBT as well as one who has experience managing pregnancy and mental illness. Talking to a trained professional will help you manage emotional issues at this very anxiety provoking time. The answer isnt always about uping/lowering meds, but I certainly understand this is something you have been battling with for a very long time so you dont want to make too many drastic changes esp now... Hope this helps!

I wish you well!

Jud

Thankyou ladies,

Im sure we have made our decision but we will still talk it over again and see what happens on Monday.

B-
    Certainly separation from the baby would do more harm that good

DD had seperation anxiety when she was born so I was concerned about this bub having it aswell let alone not having him with me at all times. We are thinking option 2 is best for u (Me & bubs) but I really dont want him to go into special care unless he really has to so im going to talk that over with the hospital at my appoinment as we are thinking thats abit extreme aswell. I was planning on spending a few extra days in hospital this time round anyway to help with my BF etc so it really couldnt hurt him to be with me.

Jud- Thankyou, I have been talking with someone and will continue to talk with someone.

Hey Linds, I think it sounds like you are approaching this in a very sensible and smart way. Good on you for looking at all your options, and working with your hospital and dr's to get the best outcome for you and your family. Hugs, and I hope you feel a lot better for the rest of your pg.

Matryoshka Guest

I believe my DS had some separation anxiety too and he was only taken away for a few minutes (oxygen) and i also believe that it can lead to/contribute to PND for the mum too as a biological response to grieve the loss of the baby's physical presence kicks in if it is not there. I really hope the hospital can work with you on a compromise about the special care unit and the separation.

Anyway i'm glad you've made a decision and i hope you start feeling better really soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast