Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Default Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Hi gals.

I am an IBS sufferer from way back, usually my symptoms manifest in crampy windy bowel, urgent need to go and softish stools. It is usually bought on by stress. Pre pregnancy I had controlled the symptoms with diet and if i had a flair up, by taking 400mg of Slippery Elm in a capsule per day.

I am now almost 17 weeks along. Until about a week ago my symptoms had diminished to virtually nothing. They are however back with avengence despite my ongoing attempts to minimise stress and control with a blander diet but I am still an exhausted walking bloated grumbly tummy flair up!

I think i preferred the constipation of the first trimester

Any suggestions for treatment would be greatfully suggested.

Cheerio

Belinda.

hi belinda,
    i too am a IBS sufferer and sounds like i have identical flare ups to you, stress and junk foods are my killers. i am sorry that i don't have any suggestions or magical cures for you. Have you thought about attending an antenatal yoga class?? I haven't tried yoga yet, but it has been recommended to me by several people in the medical and natural therapy professions. Also just going for a walk everyday seems to help me, not a power walk even just a stroll would do.
    Goodluck and i hope it dissappears again quickly. I had a few really awful flare ups in the first 12 weeks then didn't have a problem til bub was a few months old.

all the best!

Hi Belinda, I am an awful ibs sufferer.

Are you still taking your slippery elm? If not, you need to be. Also get your hands on some charcoal tablets from the chemist. They work like immodium and help to bulk you up if you cant stop the runs.

Another great remedy is grating an apple with the skin on..waiting a few minutes til it starts browning, then eating it. It will help line your stomach.

You can also try starting your day with a glass of red cordial, that can also help to line your stomach. Hope this helps

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Stress and widespread use of antibiotics is a major cause of bacteria imbalance. Establishing the proper intestinal balance is important in cases of Candida, yeast infections, thrush, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), leaky gut syndrome and eczema, to name just a few. IBS affects 2% of the world’s population while Crohn’s disease and other bowel problems are affecting and increasing number of people.
    This is some information from the Fast Tract product here.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

have you tried "Rescue remedy"?

I have started to use it due to anxiety...my daughter started kinder and ive never left her before it calmed my nerves!

good luck

what is it? Never heard of it?

rescue remedy is available from chemists or health food stores it made up of flower remedy's i think, just google "bachs rescue remedy".
    it come in spray on your tongue form or drop in your mouth but it does taste a bit funny, i have also been taking 2 fibre tablets every day and that has seem to settle my stomach also...im currently seeing a doctor that is sure i too have IBS due to stress (lots of family health issues at the moment and i worry a lot)

fibre makes me worse!!

that not good...im hoping my symptoms will ease in time but i get really nervous about going out to the supermarket or shopping just in case i have to go. is this normal?

yep thats normal! Me too...cos you know how much pain youre in when you get the runs and how little time you have to make it to a toilet!

yep that it...but i would hate to have an "accident" in public! i find im worse in the morning and ok around lunch and mid arvo and then get little niggles at night but not everyday, who knows!

Im always worse at night...

i'm so in the same boat - i find that things get worse around mid morning to mid afternoon - usually fine at night. it's really frustrating! i hate that i can't go shopping without having to go to the loo a couple of times! and work is a shocker - cos when you need to go you need to go - no matter what! it's kinda difficult when you're trying to do your job and you just can't! hope you get some relief soon!

I also have IBS, but more bloating and constipation than the runs! I have actually found less probs since I havebeen PG. I find mild exercise helps a lot (swimming, walking etc) and also i use flax seeds on my cereal or in soup and that helps.

Yep I can honestly say here that I have been MUCH better being pregnant. Have only had about a handful of really bad episodes in the past 7 months.

In the beginning though, I was in the toilet every day

Yep mine disappeared when I was pg too...

*hugs*
    Cailin

I wonder if Bub helps by taking all those "nutrients" that we are otherwise succeptible too?

itd back with a vengeance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast