Thread: ITCHY!!!!! *going crazy*

Default ITCHY!!!!! *going crazy*

Hey girls.

I think I've had an allergic reaction to something - my skin has been getting really dry lately, and I was just using regular moisturiser without much effect (partly winter/pregnancy/high chlorine levels in water) so a couple days ago, I decided to use my belly oil (just a natural, almond oil based one) on my arms, and my belly and boobs. I hadn't been using it for a while, cos someone had sent me some cocoa butter, so I was using that.

Now my entire upper arms on both sides are covered with what looks like tiny welty blister bumps! (not to mention a milder case on my boobs and belly) They are driving me up the WALL with itchiness. Does this sound like an allergic reaction? I've never had one before, so I don't know! It's all I can do not to shred the skin on my arms with my fingernails. I've not used anything on there since except a cream which is supposed to help with the itching (it does for a while, but then wears off) and I'm just about ready to go nuts.

Help?

Is the itching in your stretch marks or not?

The itching on your arms, does it go down to your hands / palms?

How are your ankles & feet, do they itch too?

The reason I ask is that some itching in pregnancy can be related to PUPPPS or Obstetric Cholestasis, the latter being quite dangerous for you and bub.

I was thinking the same thing as Sarah..

Nope, the itching is only on the top of my belly (I don't have any stretch marks yet) and only where I put the oil on my arms. Mostly the upper section. There's a few dots on my inner forearms, but they're nowhere near as itchy as my upper arms. It feels like toad skin!

I would be taking yourself & the oil to your Dr & asking. While Sarah is right about itching being a sign of something more evil, the fact this happened after using the oil & in the area's you applied makes me think its a reaction to the oil.
    I would find out if its safe to take a anti histmine(sp?) to easy the itching. but yeah take yourself & the product to your dr, chemist or Ob/midwife & find out what you can do.

Yeah it sounds more like a reaction to the oil to me now, but I would get it double checked anyway. You can take the old style of antihistamines that make you drowsy like polaramine which is what I had to take for my PUPPPS.

I had a really similar reaction to something when I was pregnant with Harrison... I'd previously used it before becoming pregnant so didn't think it would be an issue. I would end up in tears because of the itching. My DH got me some Polaramine and it worked brilliantly. It took about a week of no scratching for the itchiness to go away.
    Maybe pop into the chemist and grab yourself some Polaramine to stop the itchiness and then go see a Dr if you're concerned.
    I hope it goes away soon

Fiona - my MW is coming around tonight, thank goodness, so I'll check with her then. If she gives me the ok - I think it's off to the chemist for something safe!

Sarah - I looked up those conditions, and the symptoms don't match mine - thank goodness! Polaramine sounds like a godsend right now...

Lisa - yeah, me too! I've used it before, and for the whole first and part of the second trimesters without any problems - it just suddenly made my skin spaz out! Kinda good to know it's happened to others though - not that I'd wish this on anyone!!!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I feel a lot better about it now, and am gonna hopefully get something for it tonight!

Great news that your symptoms don't match Helly PUPPPS is horrific, I had seven weeks of insane itching & it was dreadful.

I'm having trouble coping after just four days of it - I can't begin to imagine what seven weeks must have been like!!!