Thread: Low iron already?

Default Low iron already?

I'm only 24 and a half weeks, and I know that towards the end of the pregnancy iron levels can be an issue, but the last few days I've been feeling particularly lethargic and cranky. It reminds me of when I've been anaemic in the past, rather than feeling like it's hormonal, iykwim. I don't eat red meat and I have been a bit slack on the diet lately, not that I'm dieting, I just mean that we've been eating poorly compared to how healthily we normally eat. Could it be low iron? I guess only a blood test can tell, I'm going to talk to the midwife to see if I can arrange it at the same time as my glucose thingy but what I'm asking I suppose is, is it that unusual to already start feeling a bit anaemic now? Shopping day is Thursday, so I'll be buying a lot of iron rich foods and see if it makes a difference!!

I have problems with anaemia too, even when not pg. The foods definitely help but I think some sort of iron supplement is very helpful during pg as the demands on the body are so great. Most of the pg supplements such as Elevit have good doses of iron in them so they are often sufficient in conjunction with a good diet. If you are a bit low though, extra supplements might be needed. It sounds like a good idea to have a test just to make sure.

My low iron levels have been an issue since the 12wk markso it's not too early (i'm 24w2d now)... Make sure u keep an iron full diet (expecially since u don't eat red meat), and if ur iron is low, might be a good idea to take some suppliments too... Take care -