Thread: Obstetric cholestasis and induction

j_white83 Guest

Default Obstetric cholestasis and induction

Hi! Has anyone had cholestasis and a natural labour? I had an induction with my first child, she was born at around 38 weeks thanks to obstetric cholestasis. I was unbelieveably uncomfortable with the constant itching but I feel really robbed of a natural labour. I wasn't even told anything about the disease, I had to find out information myself, my doctor just booked me in for an induction the day after. Labour with my daughter was only about 3 hours long and I was in constant horrendous pain, and everything just felt so unnatural, drugged up and rushed! I am now pregnant with my second child, who is due in January, and I am worried I will have to be induced again thanks to the cholestasis. Is it really necessary to be induced? I have read cholestasis can cause stillborn but I just want to know if there is any chance of delivering naturally.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You could always look into natural induction methods (acupuncture?) before the date they want you induced. If you have even a slightly open cervix, which is likely given you have birthed before, they can break your waters as a first attempt to start labour instead of drugs. The thing is, they will give you a time limit to go into labour before they will want to start the drip - you just have to make a decision on saying no if thats what you want, and you could say that if you show signs of infection you will accept antibiotics - often they only give you up to 2 hours but it often needs more than that...

I also wonder if Chinese medicine can try to help with this condition? Even many doctors will admit they don't know much about OC hence they are very jumpy with it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.