Thread: pelvic problems in future pg's

Default pelvic problems in future pg's

My pelvi sperated during my last pg & I was in alot of pain in the last 5 months. I could barely walk the last 3 months.

Just wanted to know if other people who've suffered from this have had it in their fufure pregnancies.

I've said over & over again that Jesse would be my last, but mainly coz I don't think I could go through that again. I'm still in pain. Especially when I'm tired.

I probably won't risk the severe morning sickness I get with girls anyway, but i'd just like to know if anyone else has survived more after seperated pelvis.

Urgh... I definitely feel your pain! One of the main reason's why DH and I haven't started TTC again is because of the amount of pain I was in with SPD. I still have terrible pains some days and often my pubic bone will clunk and it feels awful.
    I know it progressively got worse with each pregnancy I have had with Noah then Harrison being the worst.

Mumof2Girls Guest

I had SPD in my last pregnancy but haven't had it this time around. I've been so glad that I haven't had it, I remember when we went shopping I'd have to go in a wheelchair. Anyway, I think you have a higher risk, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen.

Good question.

I had SPD during my pregnancy too and it took 6 months before I could walk more than five minutes. It's still an issue especially as DD is now heavier.

It's also weighing on my mind a lot given that I'm 39 and have very little time to have another baby but can't at the moment begin to think how I will deal with the pain during pregnancy and afterwards caring for two small children. I don't have any support apart from DP who works shifts so is often not here in the evening when I really need a break after a day full of lifting and carrying DD.

I've read a lot. It's not guaranteed to recur but it seems it does in most cases. My physio says that despite that, women often cope better the second time around because they manage it better by being more diligent at going to physio (clinical pilates helped me heaps post-pregnancy) and by keeping their knees together for all the day-to-day stuff like rolling in bed, getting off the floor etc. etc.

In my case, I think my labour contributed a lot to the pain I had post-pregnancy. Two and a half hours of pushing flat on my back with my knees pulled up to my chest followed by a forceps birth. Absolutely the worst possible scenario for SPD but I didn't know that at the time.

I'm trying to convince myself that I wouldn't have been in the same level of pain post-birth if the birth had been differently managed.

I'm also telling myself that I may or may not be in the same level of pain with another baby. No-one knows one way or the other. The only thing I know for sure is that I WILL regret it if I don't try for another baby even though I'm scared stiff.

fionas - Thats really interesting about the birth position. I had DS the same way. On my back with my knees up, held by my hands. Every time I had a contraction I would say help coz I needed someone to lift my leg for me & stand there with my foot on them or holding it, coz I couldn't hold it there.
    I didn't have forceps though, thankfully. They wanted vacuum extraction, but only coz they needed him out coz he was distressed. They couldn't find it though.

And yeah, I could probably deal with it 2nd time around a bit easier coz i'd be prepared. Now I know I wasn't just being a sook.

Hi im on my 4th pregnancy i suffer from pelvic and girdle pain or known as SPD that hormone that you get in late pregnancy come in about 12 weeks with me. Not only that but every ounce of weight baby is i feel tremendously. At night i get this grinding real pain full feeling on rolling i have to do a log roll to minamise it. I get same pains and lost of stinging during the day too makes movement very hard. because of the hormone that comes to early for me the uterus drops down. I find the less weight you gain in pregnancy the better but keeping within normal limits. So no great excessive weight gain. I have had to have my uterus lifted already. feel free to pm me if ya want.

Fiona Bjrose i also delivered my first on my back and i didnt want to the pain was awfull... I wanted to be on my side with my leg up but they made me roll back... Its very interesting we delivered on our back
    Last edited by squidipa; June 25th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.

I actually gained nothing but baby weight. & DS was lighter than DD2.
    It started at around 4 months & slowly got worse. I thought maybe he was sitting very low or was engeged coz thats what it felt like, but he was sideways - same as DD2 & didn't engage til labour.
    I only had it with DS.

Yep, logically you would think that gaining a lot of pregnancy weight would have something to do with SPD but I don't actually think that's true. I only put on 6kg.

Bjrose, there's some info out there from one of the pelvic instability support groups that advises what to do when it comes to the birth. I just had a quick look and couldn't find it again but from memory it says to get someone to measure with a bit of string how far you can comfortably open your legs, then take that string with you and don't allow the midwives to get you to widen further than that. Also, it's important to try to avoid an epidural as although that will mean that you can get into the 'on back, legs separated' position without pain, you're likely to pay for it down the track.

If only I'd known then what I know now!

i gained 40 kilo with my first and 30 with the second and 20 with 3rd and 13 with this one so far... i did wear a support belt too that helped to stabalise me more. Thanks for being honest enough to give me your opinions

The weight thing doesn't necc make SPD any worse, you are going to gain baby & baby-infrastructure weight but regardless of whether it's a lot or a little, if your ligaments are stretchy you will feel it.

I understand it gets progressively worse with each pregnancy HOWEVER balancing that is the awareness of how to manage it right from the very beginning.

In our case, it was the deciding factor in DH having a vasectomy. I just don't think I want to do all that pain again!