Thread: PUPPP may lead to self-mutilation.....

catherine Guest

Default PUPPP may lead to self-mutilation.....

Having read through some old posts and done some googling I have self-diagnosed my horrendously itchy rash as PUPPP, apparently a very common rash that comes on late in the 3rd trimester (although not mentioned in any of my previously useful pregnancy books).

I have tried everything to calm the itching (sorbolene, sudocream, calamine, antihistamines, pinetarsol baths....the list goes on). I am thinking of resorting to attacking myself with a potato peeler to see if that does any good.

I know a couple of you out there will have the same thing, so I am interested (or desperate) to hear how you have coped. I am at the stage where I am wondering if I can put the pressure on my ob to induce (my EDD is this Friday) as I don't think I can take much more of this. I haven't slept for 4 nights and I look like something from a horror movie!!

Oh Catherine... I am sorry that I can't suggest anything that you haven't already try.
    Sending you huge cyber hugs anyway... I had itching during the first trimester and that was bad enough.
    I hope things calm down for you real soon and you find some relief
    :hugs:
    Lisa

Hi Catherine,
    You poor thing.
    I had a really bad rash all over my tummy for the last 2 months of my first pregnancy. The only thing that i found to help it was placing a cold facewasher over my tummy, i tried what you've tried but no cream helped.
    Good luck with it, not long to go now and all these lovley conditions will be gone!

Did your OB or midwife have any suggestions for you?

Melinda Guest

I didn't have PUPPP, but it was suspected that I had obstetric cholestasis. Turns out I didn't as I continued to itch post birth.

But the reason I bring this up is because the itch was driving me positively MENTAL. Without a doubt, I was going crazy. Every morning my pj's would have blood on them from where I was scratching myself stupid. I ended up cutting my fingernails seriously short to stop myself from breaking the skin, but then cursed having done it because I needed the nails to scratch the itch with IYKWIM! It was a thousand times worse at night - bearable by day for the most part. Showers/heat made it worse. There was no distinguishable rash - just itchiness!!!

I can't offer any solutions as I tried everything I possibly could also - sorbolene, sigmacort, pinetarsol lotion, baby powder, cool baths/showers, dressing lightly in bed to avoid overheating, antihistamines, the works.

hmmm, what about a tea tree that kinda makes it burn so hurt & not itchy???
    Could you wear cotton gloves to bed? There's cream at Chemists that can numb your skin, maybe try that??

I really am not sure but by your ticker it wont be long & you'll be too busy to think about scratching & hopefully once bubs is born it will go???

oooh you poor thing how awfull and uncomfortable
    maybe try some vinegar on a cool wet facewasher or in a cool or tepid bath vinegar is really good for itching

Poor love...not to make you worry but I actually got the PUPP rash on day 9 AFTER Darcy was born (my due date). I itch all the time with psoriasis but that nearly drove me spare, so you have my total sympathy.

Have you tried oatmeal baths? (put some oats in a small muslin bag and run under the tap to fill the bath). I also take flaxseed oil, check with the chemist of course but this helps with my irritation.

Good luck tomorrow!