Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPD Ladies - Help Please...

Default SPD Ladies - Help Please...

Ok, I will admit, I have still been in denial that I could possibly add SPD to my pregnancy. Its the last one and dammit, I want to enjoy it - I have maxolon for my HG, DH is doing so much for me so I can, I've been taking it as easy as I can except for the wiifit (although I havent been able to get on it for 2 days now)... But today I am starting to think I might have to take it seriously.

I can't put any weight on my left leg.

Every time I try I get a shooting pain from the groin region right up through the left side of my hip. DH is still trying to be positive for me and has said its probably just a strain and told me to go to bed as soon as he gets home with the kids to see if it sorts itself out ... but what if it doesnt? I can't walk for crying out loud!

Is this typical of SPD, or am I being paranoid about it now?

ETA: I just thought I should mention that my left thigh feels rather weak too. I can't fully flex the muscle - it just won't do it.

Maybe the baby is sitting on a nerve hun? Or just in the wrong position.
    Mine was never biased to which side hurt most. Hopfully if you just lay down & get some well deserved rest everything will be ok.
    If you don't feel better by tomorrow I'd be off to see your MW or GP.

I was better on one leg than the other - I couldn't stand at all on one side - can't for the life of me remember which one though.

And it was difficult to roll over in bed, I would have to lift myself up and hold my pelvis together with my hands and then roll over. Not looking forward to it this time round, already I'm getting lower back pain, and my sciatic nerve is hurting constantly all the way down into my calf muscle.. so this pregnancy should be interesting...

I think you should get thee to a physio.

It sounds to me a little like it could be a pinchy nervey type thing, or it could equally be SPD, but the best way it to see someone, and get it assessed. Then, no matter what it is, you will have some strategies and stretches and things that will help.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    xxx

i hope this helps u ....

Symptoms

The symptoms of SPD vary from person to person, but almost all women who have it experience substantial pubic pain. Tenderness and pain down low in the front is common, but often this pain feels as if it's inside. The pubic area is generally very tender to the touch; many moms find it painful when the doctor or midwife pushes down on the pubic bone while measuring the uterus (fundal height).

Any activity that involves lifting one leg at a time or parting the legs tends to be particularly painful. Lifting the leg to put on clothes, getting out of a car, bending over, sitting down or getting up, walking up stairs, standing on one leg, lifting heavy objects, and walking in general tend to be difficult at times. Many women report that moving or turning over in bed is especially excruciating. One woman wrote, "There were days that I didn't think I was going to be able to get out of bed and actually had to roll out of bed and onto the floor to be able to do so!" [See her story below.]

Many movements become difficult when the pubic symphysis area is affected. Although the greatest pain is associated with movements of lifting one leg or parting the legs, some women experience a 'freezing', where they get up out of bed and find it hard to get their bodies moving right away--the hip bone seems stuck in place and won't move at first. Or they describe having to wait for it to 'pop into place' before being able to walk. The range of hip movement is usually affected, and abduction of the hips especially painful.

Many women also report sciatica (pain that shoots down the buttocks and leg) when pubic pain is present. SPD can also also be associated with bladder dysfunction, especially when going from lying down (or squatting) to a standing position. Some women also feel a 'clicking' when they walk or shift just 'so', or lots of pressure down low near the pubic area.

Many women with SPD also report very strong round ligament pain (pulling or tearing feelings in the abdomen when rolling over, moving suddenly, sneezing, coughing, getting up, etc.). Some chiropractors feel that round ligament pain can be an early symptom of SPD problems, and indicate the need for adjustments. Other providers consider round ligament pain normal, part of the body adjusting to the growing uterus. If experienced with pubic and/or low back pain, it probably is associated with the SPD.

To summarize, SPD is the mild form of this problem. Its symptoms often include one or more of the following:

pubic pain
    pubic tenderness to the touch; having the fundal height measured may be uncomfortable
    lower back pain, especially in the sacro-iliac area
    difficulty/pain rolling over in bed
    difficulty/pain with stairs, getting in and out of cars, sitting down or getting up, putting on clothes, bending, lifting, standing on one foot, lifting heavy objects, etc.
    sciatica (pain in buttocks and down the leg)
    "clicking" in the pelvis when walking
    waddling gait
    difficulty getting started walking, especially after sleep
    feeling like hip is out of place or has to pop into place before walking
    bladder dysfunction (temporary incontinence at change in position)
    knee pain or pain in other areas can sometimes also be a side-effect of pelvis problems
    some chiropractors feel that round ligament pain (sharp tearing or pulling sensations in the abdomen) can be related to SPD

Tips for Coping with Pubic Symphysis Pain

Although the best idea may be to resolve chronic SPD pain through realigning the pelvis girdle and soft tissues, most women have at least some residual pubic and low back pain stick around for pregnancy and the early postpartum weeks because of hormones. Therefore, tips for coping with pubic pain tend to be a focus of many SPD websites. Many of the suggestions include:

Use a pillow between your legs when sleeping; body pillows are a great investment!
    Use a pillow under your 'bump' (pregnancy tummy) when sleeping
    Keep your legs and hips as parallel/symmetrical as possible when moving or turning in bed
    Some women also find it helpful to have their partners stabilize their hips and hold them 'together' when rolling over in bed or otherwise adjusting position
    Some women report a waterbed mattress to be helpful
    Silk/satin sheets and nighties may make it easier to turn over in bed
    Swimming may help relieve pressure on the joint (many sites recommend avoiding breaststroke but Kmom did not find it to be a problem at all for her; see what works for you)
    Deep water aerobics or deep water running may be helpful as well (there are flotation devices to help you stay afloat easily during this; you do not need to know how to swim in order to do this)
    Keep your legs close together and move symmetrically (other sources recommend a very small gap between the legs with symmetrical movement)
    When standing, stand symmetrically, with your weight evenly distributed through both legs
    Sit down to get dressed, especially when putting on underwear or pants
    Avoid 'straddle' movements
    Swing your legs together as a unit when getting in and out of cars; use plastics or something smooth and slippery (like a garbage bag) on the car seat to help you enter car backwards and then turn your legs as a unit
    An ice pack may feel soothing and help reduce inflammation in the pubic area; painkillers may also help
    Move slowly and without sudden movements
    If sex is uncomfortable for you, use lots of pillows under your knees, or try other positions
    If bending over to pick up objects is difficult, there are devices available that can help with this
    Really severe cases may need crutches, although these should probably only be used as a last resort
    Sciatica may be helped by stretching the hamstring muscles with a stirrup around your foot (long piece of rope, two neck ties tied together, etc.) See the Elizabeth Noble book for directions (resources)
    Back pain can often be helped by resting backwards over a large gymnastic or 'birth' ball (see resources)
    Some women report that pelvic binders/maternity support belts are helpful for pelvic pain; brands in the U.S. include Prenatal Cradle or BabyHugger or the Reenie Belt. However, if the pelvic bones are really misaligned, some women report more pain with these. Listen to your body on whether to use these

hope that helps

Anila sums it up well hun Good news is that if it is only starting at this stage, physio will be more beneficial than it has been for me this time around. I promise you mine is severe, and the Ob says he sees one as bad as mine once every 5 years or so. Get a support belt, rather than stepping into the car, slide in (I rest my butt against the seat and push up with my hands for a higher vehicle) and use lots of pillows to get optimal support in bed. I strongly doubt that you will end up with a walking frame, just do as much as you can to keep it stable and even, and use a back support belt as low as you can around your hips.

*sighs* I was doing fine on friday and was sooo happy - but then I had to run after Harry today (heading straight for the cars.... which were moving, typical boy) and completely aggravated it again. Looking through that though its looking likely.

The pubic bone is *very* tender, getting up and down to do Haz's nappy is too much to ask now, and my hip has felt like it needs to pop back into place for days - nothing I have done has relieved that minor irritation. I have also found myself WAY more comfortable sleeping with a cushion under my right knee, though I really want to lie on my right side but it makes me ill.

And for total weirdness, crossing my left leg over might right causes BHXs, but doesnt the other way round. Its all left centric I think.

Gotta go to the doctors on Tuesday for more maxolon (although, I don't think that is going to work much longer. I might as well have had sugar pills today) so I can get the referral then. And we need to take the bus to Kanwal Med Centre to get the seating capacity approved, so there ya go - I am going that way anyway.

Rest up hun. I always found when it was not as bad as it is now that if I did too much 1 day I would be sore the next, so do as little as possible. I know the feeling of being forced to run though, Sarah did it a few weeks ago coming out of daycare.

Well, I got googies to hide at like 3am, and then we have to put the seats in the bus - I know - I have absolutely NO concept of "taking it easy". But after that I should be right to put my feet up for a while. In fact, Angies best friend is coming up tomorrow arvo, so chances are pretty good because she won't have it any other way. Great kid - tis why we never have a problem with her spending her school holidays here with us. She is an only child and thrives on the family environment.

Oh man, that makes it sound like I am taking advantage!

oh hun, i do hope u get some relief soon, do try and rest, and get the kids to help out when possiable.
    Good luck hun.

yep, my physio said the best thing is rest. She told me that I should spend two days per week just in bed if I get pregnant again.

I almost feel off the pilates bench and rolled around the floor laughing at that concept.

Am I too early to get SPD? I had pelvic girdle pain in my last pregnancy at about 28 weeks onward. A support belt helped. But this pain is different. Its in my groin, toward the right side of my pubic hair, and is painful when I weight bear on my right leg. I also feel achy a little in the centre of my pubic hair. Sometimes I have no pain at all, but if I sit down a lot or sit cross legged a few times a day, I have a lot of pain just trying to walk. I really try to avoid spreading my legs, but the sitting down a lot, I can't avoid when I have to travel long distances on trains. And I've applied for a few office jobs, and I'd be sitting a lot. I seriously hope its not going to get worse, otherwise I can't work and I really need to work right now, money is tight.

Unfortunately not Echidna. I wish but it does sound like PGP again (which is the new name for SPD) Get a physio referral ASAP and start managing it early!! Try as hard as you can to avoid crossing your legs and get back into the management techniques you used last time. I hope it doesn't get any worse for you

Ali, tell you what, I didn't know what PGP was until I was 37 weeks, because I googled. By that point, there wasn't much I could do, I was due soon.

Sometimes its comfortable for me to raise one knee and lay it flat with the other straight in bed. Making a P if I make sense. I shouldn't, but keeping my knees together constantly is uncomfortable. All the regular GPs are on leave, so seeing the doctor is quite difficult.

Will PM you a link that a lovely BB member PMed me. Put your belt on now though and try to remain symmetrical, even if knees aren't together, being even will help.

Thanks for the link, I'm reading it now. I loaned my belt to my then SIL, and I'm sure I won't get it back. It would be considered a gift. I'll get a belt as soon as I can, money is tight.

echidna, have u looked on ebay for a belt?
    There are a few on atm, under supprot belt and maternity belt. hth.

My physio also sugested buying the elastic and making one myself, just make sure its nice and firm.

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of ebay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast