Thread: thalaseamia....

Default thalaseamia....

hi all

Not sure if posting in the right spot...

I have thalaseamia minor (a blood disorder affecting iron levels), my midwives have known since i have started going to them, and now i'm 32 weeks & have been advised that my hubby should be tested (advised by the obstetrics registrar) just in case.

We are 99.99% sure that he doesnt have it, as it comes from mediterranean backgrounds (somehow i have it, but dont have any mediterranean background) anway, it has caused a few heated discussions between hubby &I.

I agree that we should have been told a lot earlier to test for this, because if we find out that hubby does have it, what do we do with 8 weeks to go??

I think he has agreed to get it done, but pretty much for my sake only as i've asked him to do it for me & the baby.

But just wanting to know ur opinions?? Can we refuse the blood test and explain our reasons....or would we be silly to refuse it??

Bugalug,

I would personally get your DH to have the test. I am of mediterranean background and was tested to see if I had it ( I don't) right at the beginning of my pg. The MW said if I did have it my DH would need to be tested and if positive then they would need to treat the bubs when born. I would probably ask your OB for more information and go from there. Good luck

Thanks for ur reply

Hubby did go get the blood test done.....we're pretty sure all will be fine