Thread: Too much amniotic fluid- polyhydramniosis

Default Too much amniotic fluid- polyhydramniosis

Ok I have written and re-written this 3 times now, so this is the shortened version. (Stupidly I didn't copy it, both times....what can I say baby brain!)

Today at my antenatal appt, the ob said I have too much amniotic fluid. On the u/s report it says 'early polyhydramniosis is demonstrated'. The dr told me it's nothing to worry about because I have no other indicators. But then he also said that I need to come to the hospital, and not to my gp (having shared care). So could a problem come out of this, if so what? I would also like to know is indicators of what? Do I need to look out for something?

I have no other problems with the pg, other than the usual problems in later pg and having a HUGE baby inside me and belly!

Fingers crossed this one posts!!!

I don?t have any personal experience with this but my BF has something similar with her first one. They told here when she was 25 weeks that she was the size she should be at 40wks. They didn?t do anything at the time and she went into labour a few says after that. They managed to hold off the labour with drugs for about another week and then they couldn?t stop it anymore. Her son was born at about 26 and a half weeks. He was a very sick little baby for a while but is now a happy and healthy 4 year old. They told her afterwards that they though she had had gestational diabetes which had caused there to be to much fluid or something. Here next pregnancy was watch very closely and she did develop gestational diabetes but her little girl when to term.

I have had the GD test and it was all ok. Maybe that's what he meant though, that I will have to be monitored for GD? And the indicators would be those of GD.... ??

paradise lost Guest

Polyhydramniosis is actually relatively common and it can be an indicator of chromosomal or placental abnormalities, GD, poor foetal growth or, and this is most common, NOTHING AT ALL.

How many weeks are you? Your ticker isn't loading for me (dang forum issues! Lol). This condition is a NORMAL state in the early-to-mid second tri because the baby makes itself more space BEFORE it has a growth spurt, and many many women are worried about this when it is really nothing to worry about at all.

Your Ob sounds like he has his eye on the ball, i'd follow his advice (and not worry). They will monitor you more closely to see how you and the baby are growing and apprehend potential problems, that's all. They want you at the hossie because they can do quick scans or whatever if they need to.

You should look out for all the normal things you've been looking out for and continue to treat the PG as a normal, healthy - the Ob will advise if you need to do anything different.

Bx