Thread: Trigeminal Neuralgia

kizmet Guest

Default Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi there,

Am very new to this site. I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia about 2 weeks ago after 4 days in hospital in excrutiating pain. This pain and condition doesnt affect the baby whatsoever just me. He is having the time of his life in there

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has this and has gone through a pregnancy with it? Finding the anxiety about attacks the worst at the moment.

Hi
    I haven't had it in pregnancy but I have suffered TG in the past. Luckily (and touch wood) I haven't had it for a few years, but I have been hospitalised with it and it is extremely painful. It must be awful having it in pregnancy- you have enough on your plate. I never really found anything to relieve the pain much- morphine was about the only thing that eased the pain, but obviously not possible at home. It came and went over a number of years but was told that it was linked to a dodgy nerve in my face that I also got Bell's Palsy on twice (at 15 yrs and about 29 yrs?) that fortunately wasn't permanent.
    I do feel for you very much! The state of anticipating pain is awful as is the actual pain! What have medical staff told you?

Welcome to BB kizmet. I hope you find others on here who have travelled a similar road. All the best for a smooth pregnancy

DStapo Guest

Default TGN in pregnancy

Hi

I hope you are feeling better. I also have trigeminal neuralgia and am in my first trimester. I was diagnosed with this, this year and stopped myself from taking the medication my neuro prescribed because we woudl like to start a family. I still get shots of pain now and keep myself busy or pretend its not there. I have been advised that a diet high in B12, be eating tofu and soy products, can minimise the pain. I searched a website called TGN Australia, and they are a very supportive bunch.

Look after yourself

D