thread: ASTHMA and Sue Dengate Failsafe diet

Aug 2006

ASTHMA and Sue Dengate Failsafe diet

My DS has a tree nut allergy and milk intolerance. He gets a night time cough every now and then and requires a puffer. He picks up colds and bugs quite easily at preschool. I've heard of the Failsafe diet and have the book fed up.

I think giving up additives etc is a no brainer but giving up fruit and veg. That seems hard.

My DD has reflux. The book alludes to diet problems and reflux. However she's on neocate and basic solids. How can this be changed to be Failsafe if at all?

The elimination diet looks scary as does the make your own sausages and baking prospects. Any insight would be great

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

I found Sue Dengate book very helpful in some ways (in relation to additives), however when your child doesn't have the severe allergies her children did then it was way overkill IMO. I think the only fruit you could eat was pears (?) from memory... Now my DD had asthma but she doesn't seem to be affected anymore. She eats all types of fruit & veg... I'd do it broadly to start with then if no improvement look to eliminate more. GL

Jun 2012

We did full failsafe for 3 years. My son has autism. He is now on the gaps diet and if I had my time again I would go straight to gaps.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 so please excuse errors.

Aug 2006

What is the gaps diet? What does it involve? Thanks

I agree, eating only pears and the limited veg isn't very exciting. We will be eliminating the additives first then see.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

The thing about asthma is that it has so many factors that might be triggers. Plastics and wall to wall carpet are both worth avoiding if you can. You can get metal lunch boxes for school instead of plastic. Same with water bottles.

What triggers one person won't trigger another. So maybe start with eliminating the sulphites and additives and see how you go.

GAPS...... most people I know who have been on GAPS long term complain of having low energy and seem to take supplements for it so I'm not convinced that it's a great diet for children. They have high energy needs.

Jun 2012

Gaps is grain free and sugar free with a focus on healing the gut and helping with immune responses.
    Pretty polar opposite to the high carb high sugar high starch diet that is failsafe.
    So now my son has bacon and eggs for breakfast. Soups meatballs boiled eggs vegies and fruit for lunch. Steak chicken vegies etc for dinner. And I bake using coconut flour and honey for snacks with nuts and fruit and veg too. Seems more balanced to me. No packaged food or preservatives.
    And he is certainly not short on energy.
    We have only been going a few weeks and are just adding in pro biotics.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 so please excuse errors.

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

There is a Healing with GAPS thread on BB that you should take a look at - it is really interesting. The other book worth a look at is Nourishing Traditions.

I agree with Onyx - the only thing that seemed to trigger my DD asthma was cold weather. She could swim, run around and have no issues with asthma. We also have a dog & cat & there is no issue.