Thread: Astrix & Wrinkles

Default Astrix & Wrinkles

My SIL told me yesterday that she read somewhere that they have said that a baby asprin a day (astrix) will keep the wrinkles at bay? Has anyone else heard this? I guess its a perk of having to take it LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melinda Guest

No, I haven't heard that before. I wonder why that is? I'd be interested to know.

Cass Guest

:smt079
    The only way you can truely keep those wrinkles at bay...
    Is a good moisturiser and sunscreen!! and reapply!!!

Trust me
    :smt023

The only thing that the asprin will do is thin your blood and keep the headaches at bay

Sunscreen yes, moisturiser they say thats not true LOL so who do you believe? Anyway salicylate acid is the main ingredient in astrix that is said to help prevent wrinkles (it is also used in acid peels), I will ask my SIL where she read the article and try and find it

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cass Guest

I am sorry to say this - but you cannot "Prevent" wrinkles.
    Well - you can - stay out of the sun and keep your skin perfectly moisturised. I have seen an 80 yr old woman who looked like she was 50!! Her plan - no tanning, when outside in the sun - you have sunscreen and an umbrella, and she moisturised with basic cream.
    They are inevitable.
    This is what I do know...
    Any form of acid - whether it is an AHA or BHA can help with the appearance of wrinkles - but that is from the outside. All they do is take off the dead skin. Most "anti wrinkle" creams have a tiny tine amount of acid of some form - but what is sold over the counter isnt of any great benifit at all.
    Salicylic Acid. The active ingredient in aspirin. It is used in cosmetics as an exfoliant, and is the only source of beta hydroxy acid (BHA). As an exfoliant, in concentrations of 8% to 12%, it is effective in wart-remover medications. In concentrations of 0.5% to 2% it is far more gentle, and, much like AHAs, can exfoliate the surface of skin. Because BHA is related to aspirin (both are salicylates), it retains some of aspirin’s anti-inflammatory properties.

I dont think that a doctor would make a claim like this - other wise they would have done this a long long time ago.
    (Hint: I work for Plastic Surgeons)

Dont believe everything you see or hear - If it is too good to be true, probably is. You should hear what we get told!! Some of the things that people have told us that they have done to get rid of things.... it would blow your mind.

I am sure you are right Cass, I was just informing the rest of the girls what the reasons for their argument were

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cass Guest

Cailin - this is why I dont like Oprah or similar programs - gosh they spin some crap.
    Our doctors have been telling us for years how to prevent any sort of problem whether it is wrinkles, cancers, you name it - and we continuously try to find an easy out. There are no easy outs.

I understand your point - but I feel that it is not a safe practice.

No worries Cass, I do really appreciate the info. I don't think my SIL got the info from oprah though or I would have taken it with a grain of salt too Having someone as knowledgable as you on board is a definite plus. And I know what its like when you are informed about a certain topic and what to spread the knowledge.

Thanks again and take care!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hey Cass just thought I'd ask about how those IPL lasers work with freckles?
    Is it worth the $$$ or can it do more damage than good?

Cass Guest

Cailin - Knowledge is our greatest weapon in life!
    Honestly - your ears would quiver with the different things people have done.

Sammi - I cant remember the IPL being able to do that one, but in all honesty, go and see a Plastic Surgeon if you really want to know what to do. The IPL machines are great for wrinkles, sun damaged skin and rejunenation!
    Where do you live? I might be able to point you in the right directon of one