Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacterial Meningitis !!

Exclamation Bacterial Meningitis !!

My ex SIL came over with her 4 month old tiny niece on Saturday. This baby - Mary was only born 4 lbs 11oz and is still very small. Today I was at Mum's house when Mum got a phone call from SIL.

Little Mary is in hospital with Bacterial Meningitis

This poor baby was in my home, I was cuddling her and I also had DP's family and his nieces over. My MIL was also cuddling little Mary. She has had a lumbar puncture and we are now waiting on the results to find out exactly what strain it it. My nieces who have spent alot of time with Mary over the last few days are on anti biotics already.

The infectious disease dept are in a meeting until 4 pm deciding what action will be taken. I also need to wait until they contact my mother to find out what I need to do with myself, my children and Mark's family.

Please keep little Mary in your prayers. The first 24 hours are critical for her and she is such a little bub.

Oh Trish! Oh that is terrible! Poor little girl and you must be sick with worry about your own family. Thoughts and prayers are with you and little Mary.

Trish, this is awful news. Thinking of you and yours.

Oh no Trish. I hope she's ok

My ex SIL came over with her 4 month old tiny niece
    Sorry for the confusion girls. LOL. It's my brothers ex wifes, brothers baby. I am still close with the family though. As is my ex SIL with ours.

Just spoke to mum who has been on the phone with our GP. He has been incontact with the infectious disease dept at Westmead and they are stil waiting on the cultures. It is definately bacterial meningitis, but we still don't know exactly what strain.
    We will find out in the morning.... I know what to look out for and am pretty confident that we are all ok. But of course there is still that chance. I have been quite run down lately as has Tehya. She is my main concern although I was the one nursing Mary.

Shannon, nope haven't done the big next step. We decided to have kids and buy a house instead. LOL.

Oh Trish - I hope the baby and everyone else are fine. What a scare for you!!

And the best of us live in sin anyway At least, thats my excuse

Take care Trish. Hope everyone at your place stays well and that the little one pulls through.

Fi, ain't nothing better than living in sin.

Trish i just looked up BM and OMG im for Mary and i hope you all arent infected...

My thoughts are with you

Did you hear anything Trish?

Nothing yet Nat. We were told that they wouldn't know anything about and damage Mary may have suffered until after 4 this afternoon. Still waiting to hear about the strain on BM too. I do know though that she had a hard night but had not deteriorated any this morning when I spoke to SIL.

Obviously they aren't too worried about us, we have recieved no more contact from the hospital as yet.

Oh Trish i hope little Mary will pull through with no ill effects...

for her xx

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Trish - will keep little Mary in my I hope they started treatment quickly and she has no serious side effects.

- my little Joel has been in hospital all week and he had a lumbar (two) to rule out bacterial meningitis because his blood tests indicated he had a serious bacterial infection and high white cell count.Thankfully it wasn't meningitis.I was very worried though so I can imagine how scared her family is right now.

Thankfully they admitted him straight away on Monday after I told them his temp was 39.9 but had gone down after panadol by time I got to casulty. I know some Drs would have just sent him home.They also started IV anitbiotics a few hours later and he didn't get really unwell.

Ps - there was a baby named Mary in hospital when Sam & Joel were born and it isn't that popular a name- hope it wasn't that sweet little baby.omg

thinking of you too -

Trish, thank you for your prayers.

I hope little Joel is doing better and feeling ok now. Is he home from hosp yet ?? Ouchie on the lumbar's too. Give him a big kiss from me. Don't forget one for Sammy either.

I'm not sure where Mary was born. But I do know that she was full term, just little. What hosp were the boy's born in ??

thanks Joel came home this afternoon after another anitibiotic injection because IV came out last night and needed another dose.

Sam & Joel were born at Nep but it was when they were in Hawkesbury and the bub was fullterm or so I think.I remember because when I commented I liked the name the mum said her DH had chosen it for his mum (in memory) and I got the vibes it wasn't her first choice.

I really hope Mary is okay - I saw quite a few bubs with bacterial meningitis when I was nursing in kids ward .Most detected and treated early at our hosp recovered without major problems. Only one who parents were illegal immigrants delayed seeking medical treatment till their bub started fitting had a bad outcome in the end.

Oh maybe it is that same people. I know that Mary was named after his mother who has passed on. Was the DH totally bald?? they are a young couple too. And your right, it very probably wasn't her first choice, the DH's sister also has a baby a few months older who is named Mary...

I was called yesterday and told that Mary has Meningococcal. As far as I know though she is doing ok, I haven't been told otherwise.

I called our GP yesterday and was informed that I have to call Public Health dept. as it is all in their hands. They will instruct us on what action needs to be taken. But more than likely none will be needed. I sure hope not, because there has been a nice delay between finding out that we may have been exposed to them doing something about it.

Trish - I think it could be - yes I think the dad was bald but I saw the mum more and yes his mother had passed away - too big a coincidence.I really feel for this mother and Mary. I am praying she is on the mend quickly and also you don't need any further action.

Trish, I spoke to my ex SIl today and she confirmend that yes you were in the room with Mary. She remembered seeing the boys and thinking how gorgeous they were. She also remembers you

Very small world afterall.

Apparently Mary started to get some of the purplespots on her, thankfully not too many. Don't know much more. Although I do know that we are all in the clear thank God

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast