Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Breast Cancer in Late Pregnancy Story

Exclamation A Breast Cancer in Late Pregnancy Story

*This story comes from a known BellyBelly member who wishes to remain anonymous, but wanted to share her story*

-----------------------

I am 32 years old and have just given birth to my second child. I have been diagnosed with breast cancer and want to share my story, so if i can help any fellow BB members, or anyone else out there avoid what I have been through in the last month, then it will be worth it. I wish to keep my identity quiet for personal reasons - I hope you understand.

Two weeks before I gave birth (at the end of March), I found a lump in my left breast. My ob sent me to get an ultrasound just to make sure. I wasn't worried, as i thought it was a normal breast change in pregnancy.

That day after the ultrasound i was directed to have a fine needle aspirate biopsy on the lump in my breast and another in my axilla (armpit). From this test I was booked in to have a core biopsy of the breast lump (all this happened in three days of alerting my Ob to the lump).

I was then referred to a Breast Surgeon after waiting the weekend for my results - he told me that I had breast cancer and that i would lose my left breast (keep in mind I am still 39 weks pregnant at this stage) I was hysterical. He suggested that I be induced as soon as practical and to have the mastectomy the week after I gave birth.

I had my beautiful baby (naturally - on the due date with only gas to assist) and breastfed all the while I was in hospital (expressed milk in advance to get my baby through my bone scan and CT scan ) Then i was allowed to take my baby to the next hospital and have my baby with me through the time i was there, so i could continue to breastfeed after the surgery - I was very adamant about not having my milk supply stopped as I wanted to breastfeed as long as possibel before my chemo started. I was very lucky to have an understanding surgeon....

So here I am, with one breast, waiting to start my chemo next week, quite sad that I have to wean my beautiful baby for the duration of my treatment, but at the same time very happy that my two kids will still have a mum to love them and cuddle them to sleep at night because of the treatment i will have to endure over the next six months.

I want everyone who reads my story to make sure they know how to check their breasts properly, go to your GP for goodness sake and learn to check properly if you don't know how - it could save your life and save your families sadness and pain. Don't be embarassed - it could save your life. It's especially important to check during pregnancy, as you don't have your monthly cycle to remind you to check.

i hope this will help someone.

I'd like to wish you all the best and thank you for sharing your amazing story.

Melinda Guest

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I can't even begin to imagine how it must have felt to receive such devastating news at such a stage in your pregnancy (indeed at any time).

I truly wish you all the love and luck in the world with your upcoming chemotherapy. You sound like a remarkable woman with a wonderful and loving family - your family are blessed to have you as a Mummy! I hope that you can keep us updated (through Kathryn) about how you are progressing so that we can provide you with our love and support.

Take very good care of yourself..........XOX

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG what a heartbreaking story. My heart goes out to you and I too wish you all the best and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Thanks for sharing, it is a very important reminder for all of us. Brought a tear to my eye though, as I lost my sister to breast cancer.

I'm not quite sure what to say other than I wish you and your family the very best. You sound very strong and positive. Good Luck.

Thank you for sharing your story. My thoughts are with you, I hope all goes well, Good Luck.

My DH's aunty(44yo) has also just been diagnosed and is/will travel down a similar path to yourself in regards to treatment. I wish you all the very best during this time and want you to know my prayers are with you and your family. I also thank you for sharing your situation with us, and reminding us of the importance of self checks-no matter what your age.

You're so very brave and unselfish especially now when you yourself are going through a really tough time in your life, to think of others, you really are an amazing person.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this time and sending you lots and lots of :hugs: .xxxx

Congratulations for making it through such a difficult time - you sound like such a strong person. Your message and story have definately struck a cord in me and I will definately be making sure I do my checks.

All the best for the future and thank you.

I'm sitting here in tears. What a strong and wonderfully brave woman you are. I pray that everything will go well for you and that your little one continues to grow strong, especially in the knowledge that you have done so much for her/him.
    Why does this happen to wonderful people? Why cant the scum of the earth ever suffer such loses?
    Thanks for sharing this time with us. God Bless

Best wishes and well done on the BF until now, you are a wonderful woman and extremely lucky to have such a loving family.

All the best for your treatment, Thank-you for sharing with us & by sharing it potentially saving 1 or many lives, just by bringing it to all our attention...

May your journey be a fast healing one....

I am so sorry that you have had to go through all this in what should have been a happy and carefree period in your life. You have already shown such determination and courage. I wish you all the best for a long and happy future.

I wish you all the best for your chemotherapy, also huge hugs for your DH and your little ones
    Thanks so much for sharing your story with us and I hope you will let us know how you are going and allow us to support you through this difficult time.

I'm so sorry for your diagnosis but wish you all the best with your treatment. Thank you for sharing your story.

Just thinking of you earlier and hoping your treatment is going to plan. Take care

Thank you for taking the time out to share your story.
    Your message has been received , and I will be checking more carefully now
    Im wishing you all the best on the road to recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast