Thread: clexane and pregnancy

Default clexane and pregnancy

Hi i was hoping to link up with anyone who was taking clexane (heperon)injections during pg. I have been taking it since coming off regular meds for arthritis leading up to IVF and now need to continue taking this until almost the end of my pg. There is only limited info i can find on the net about use during pg and effects it may have. So if anyone has any info or is also taking clexane it would be great to hear from you and discuss it.

Thanks Kas

Margot_In_Oz Guest

Hi Kas,

I know a little about clexane as I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden. It means I have a higher chance of getting blood clots and pregnancy, surgery and long haul flights are all 'high risk' situations for me.

Clexane is one of the medications used by those of us with Factor V Leiden. I used it previously - before I was pregnant - when I had surgery. I had to get my husband to inject it as I have a huge needle phobia.

When I got pregnant in January, I saw various hemotologists and obstetricians about my disorder to determine whether I needed to take clexane throughout my pregnancy (I'm now 33 weeks). But my doctors and I decided that I shouldn't take clexane during pregnancy, but from the day I give birth and for at least a week afterwards.

From what I know and have researched online, there is no or little risk to pregnancy due to taking clexane. It's a low molecular weight heparin, so nothing like Warfarin etc.

I believe that it does however turn your pregnancy into a 'high risk' pregnancy, which may mean you may need closer monitoring.

From my limited knowledge, I believe that you also need to stop taking clexane prior to giving birth - mainly so you have the option of an epidural if you decide you want one. A lot of women I know who are on a form of heparin are also induced a week or two early, so that the heparin is stopped at a specific time prior to birth.

If you'd like any further info or have any specific questions, I'd be glad to help if I can. There are also some great websites I can recommend if you'd like.

Cheers
    Margot

Hi Margot and thanks for the reply. i was surprised to see my post at the top of the forum.

I undersatand where your ob and heomotologist are coming from. My ob is still undecided if she will leave me on it, or take me off it and up the oral asprin i take. I was put on it by the IVF doctor, and as my Ob said "if he was treating you throughout the pg he may not have decided to do it". Apparently and as you have mentioned it can be quite tricky to manage and does put you in the high risk category. I guess my Ob is still weighing it all up. Take me off it and run the run the risk, or let my DH keep jabbing me everyday for the next 5-6 months.

My concern even with stopping injections a few weeks ahead of delivery is having excessive bleeding during and after the birth. But i am sure my OB will keep a close eye on me.

That would be great if you could forward the web sites to me as i want to be full of info and questions ready next time i see my OB.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I new there had to someone out there that new something.

Kas

Katrice Guest

Default Clexane & Pregnancy

Hi Kas,

I hope all is well with you and your preganancy.

I have just found www.bellybelly.com.au tonight after spending hours researching on the net for information on Clexane and pregnancy - similar to you I have not found much!

My first pregnancy resulted in miscarriage due to (+ANA) which I am greatful has been detected only after one miscarriage. I am now pregnant again and my OB has advised me today that when I get the all clear from my viability ultrasound I too will need to inject Clexane for the remainder of my pregnancy.

I would be really gratetful if you could pass on any information/websites/tips that you have found useful.

Thanks - I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment so I am trying to understand what I am in for as best as I can......

Katrice

Hey Katrice,

Welcome to BellyBelly! I'm sorry to hear about your m/c.

Did your blood tests pick up anything else apart from the +ANA that might have contributed to your m/c? What were your ANA levels?

Just curious as I have ANAs too (up to 1:1280 at one point after my 2nd m/c).

Good luck! All the best for your PG!!

Hi Katrice, sorry i have not replied sooner but i don't remember to check this part of the forum very often.

Congrats on your pg. I hope it will run smoothly for you now you have detected the +ANA and clexane will be able to assist. There is not really a great amount of other info i have collected apart from being told that you are more suseptable(?sp) to sunlight and damage to your skin. But i have not found this to be case, however i am always careful if i am going to be outside for long periods of time. I have also found it hurts more the closer i am to my belly button and out near hips for the inj site. Also because you are injecting every day you tend to end up with lots of little bruises all over the place and i am sure i am even starting to build up scar tissue as sometimes it hurts so much more than others. I am not doing the injections, my DH is. He is in the medical field and so i figured he can do it, plus i don't know if i could do it. I think we did the sums the other day and as i am halfway through my pg i have already had 147 injections and about 119 to go (probably have bubs around 38 weeks if not before)

You will probably also find that your OB will take you off the inj a few weeks before your EDD so that it is out of your system by the time you give birth - probably induced. This is so they can be in control and monitor you and ensure there will not be excessive bleeding during or after birth. Plus i have been told you can't have an epidural if clexane is in your system. I am also going to be having regular u/s from about 28 weeks to monior how the baby is growing. This is not so much because of the clexane but more because the cells/antibodies that are relevant to the arthritis (the reason i am on clexane) i have can slow down the growth rate of the baby. So by having extra scans they can check how bubs is growing and also help decide when to stop inj and when to induce me.

I hope i have not worried you any further. I pretty much only found out some of this info as recently as a month ago after a visit with my OB and after my 18-20 scan. If you have any other Q's feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer and give my experiences/answers.

Take care :flower: