Thread: Cold sores What can i use to clear it up

Default Cold sores What can i use to clear it up

I am 7 weeks and just started getting a cold sore on my lip, What is safe to use.. I have read some disturbing stuff about zovrax cream so i guess i cant use that ..

Any suggestions.

What would be causing this now i havnt had one in ages.

Poor you!!

I suffer from terrible coldsores on my face and have also heard that you cant use zovirax while pregnant, so I took lyseine tablets and as soon as I felt a coldsore coming up, I put ice on it to try and reduce the severity. This also helped with the pain. But I am back on the zovirax now and have found this to be the best cream ever!!

Good luck

Are you pregnant now ????

i have used it when not preg and was happy with it

betadine is also good but it look like you got vegimite smeared on ya face hehehehe

I am not pregnant now, hence I feel OK to use zovirax. I cant remember where I heard that zovirax wasnt safe in pregnancy - might just be a myth for all we know!! Might pay to check with the local chemist to see what they say.

IKWYM about betadine paint - sure looks funny - the type of thing you use when you are definitely not going out of the house!!

zovirax is not safe during the first 2 tri's as he has a high level of zinc in it . it tells you on its information sheet.

ask your chemist or dr on what you can use for them i used a amcal one with was also good when i was pregnant but i would check to make sure . i was almost towards the end of my second tri when i got them.

There is a product from the supermarket called nyal or nygal or something which is suppose to be safe. It is white with red. I've used it during this pregnancy and not had a problem. I actually prefer it to Zovirax! There was another thread somewhere about coldsores in pregnancy... i think in the pregnancy medical conditions? Hmmmm, can't remember! I hope your cold sore goes away soon!

MG

that the one i used couldnt thin of the name.

Fraser Guest

hey I don't know if it helps but I always put some perfume on a coldsore - stings like hell - but the alcohol in the perfume dries it up and clears them right up - plus your lip smells really nice!!

Nyal is the best!!! Its a natural cold sore cream with camphor and it cools it down too!

Its about $10 from a chemist

Tea tree oil is an excellent anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. Just dab it on with a cototn bud. The herpes virus that causes cold sores stays dormant in your system and will rear its head at times of reduced immunity. Your immune system is low when you are pg, especially in the early days so that your body doesn't 'fight' this new thing inside you. Hope they clear up for you soon.

purpley Guest

Tea tree, bergamot and eucalyptus all good! Lysine!

I am also going through coldsore hell at the moment ! I have been using carmex - which is lip cream that i originally bought in the UK. It used to be advertised as a cold sore cream but is not just a lip balm. I'm a little dubious about using it but can't seem to find any evidence that would suggest it can be harmful. Anyone out there heard any different ? It seems to be working very well - better in fact than the zovirax that i have used in the past.

hope yours clears up quickly - they're horrible things !!

My pharmascit said the zovirax was fine to use short term but not for a prolonged period, he asked me how many weeks i was (iwas 8 wks at the time) and said Nop problem..it is very confusing what youc an and cant use.... but i think you should trust doctors and pharmascits they are experts (meant to be LOL)

Yep - I was told by my GP when I got my very first ever cold sore at about 24w pregnant, that the jury is out, but if you use a little bit of Zovirax its not proven to cause any harm. Its just not proven to be OK either.

thats it and i think if you had a huge outbreak and had to use it like for a few weeks probably not a good idea but for the recommended 5 days is ok. i used it sparingly anyway just to be on the safe side.