Thread: Dental advice URGENT!!!!

Default Dental advice URGENT!!!!

Healp please...
    On Thursday of last week my gum had a hard piece in it & I scratched my gum & a piece of bone or tooth (this is gum where a tooth was removed about 8+ yrs ago) anyways it had left a small hole in my gum & then yesterday a sack of goopey, slimes blood was hanging out of the tiny hole when I woke up in the morning, I pushed it back thru the hole with my tongue, as there's no pain I didnt worry, but it just kept slipping back through a sack of blood I guess is the best description...

I have been ill since finding out I am preg again, so run down, exhuasted. tired & vomiting with M/S. The taste & sensation of this sack is not helping my vomiting feeling etc..

This morning I woke up & it was alot bigger, I bit down hard on gauze & it burst & vblood come out but then the slimey skin or wahtever is making the sack, was hanging there! Still no pain at all.
    I had a shower & brushed my teeth & most of this simey stuff came away...
    I dont wnat to go sit at the hspital forhours on end, woukd it be suffice to continue washing/rinsing my mouth & the area with salty water & getting some gauze & biting down on it to catch any goo/blood... then tomorrow i guess I ahve to brave a dentist???
    Any advice about what it could be & could it also be making me so sick & tired??? I literally had 2 days sleep yesterday & was back in bed just after 8pm!!!??

Also if this is infected could it be harming my baby????

Tracey, it sounds like a bit of tooth was left behind when your tooth was pulled out, and that it has formed an abcess, which is what the 'sack' is and all the goopy stuff. I would definately see a dentist and he will be able to clean it up and give your some AB's if it is infected. (some of which are safe in pg) but for now rinsing with salt water should suffice and biting down on gauze is a great idea, becuase if the blood clot keeps coming out, you can end up with a dry socket and it wont heal over and can cause a lot of pain. If it does get worse though, definately go to the ER, they will at least be able to start you off with treatment. Don't know if it would be making your pg symptoms worse though. HTH

Hi Tracey, if it is infected (which it sounds like) it could certainly be making you feel quite tired and run down. You definitely need to see a dentist tomorrow (make sure you ring them first thing to be certain you get an appt). If it does get worse head to the ED, but if you can, hold out for the dentist. No offense, but Drs have no idea about dental related problems, and they'll likely start you off on the wrong ABs. BUT, if it is really bad some ABs are better than none. You'll still need to see a dentist.

Certainly keep up with the warm salt water rinses, many times a day. I wouldn't be stressed at this point that any infection is harming your bubba, but don't let it hang around.

Gross as it is, you're probably lucky that it is hanging down in your mouth. If it was stuck up in the bone, you'd have a lot of pain!

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you go

Thanks, I am rinsing & flushing & biting down on salty water oaked gauze!!!

I hate dentists!!! I hate needles, I hate pain... ofcourse childbirth is different!!!! LOL

Thanks for your advice, it's making the thought of food make me vomit coz if this gooey thing!!!

Trace, try not to stress too much about the dentist! I know that's easier said than done, but it's likely they won't need to do anything except write you a script. They might want to flush the area out, but you shouldn't need an anaesthetic for that.

Hope all goes well tomorrow!

I went to a dr in the end as my neck started to ache & she gave me amoxycillin, I burst into tears as soon as i entered the poor ladies office!!! hee hee

she said the baby will be fine, but best to get onto AB's as it was quite infected...
    Well I took 2 yesterday & then woke up this morning & the goo has almost dissappeared!!! It doesnt throb like it began to yesterday either!!!
    I did another preg test & it's still + so I am feeling really heaps better, having a sicky today & have left a message on the dentists voice mail...

Thanks HEAPS!!!!

You poor chook, I was wondering how you went last night. At least the treatment has started and it is starting to clear. Please try not to worry about your little Digger, I'm sure he'she will be fine - just needs Mummy to get brave enough for the dentist LOL.

Just back from Dentists... Ouch do they hurt when they hand over the bill! I was there at 12.30 in at 12.45, out at 1.05 & for a total of $180!

She said it was a traumatised gum cyst, not an absess (sp?).. That it can likely re-occur (gee thanks!)
    So she shoved needles in & cut it all out & scraped it out & the handed over the bill... also a request to have a check up & cleaning done prior to abby being born... I smiled said "No worries, I'll call you!" then left!

Well atleast it's over with now!!!!

Pray the sucker doesnt return for me hey!!!!

Tracey glad things are better just remember to finish AB's and make sure you keep the area very clean, that should hopefully stop any return of the infection.

Well at least that is over and done with Tracey. So was it as bad as you thought it would be?

I was shaking, then she anaeth... (numbed it) & it was all good!!!!

I just HATE dentists!!!

Oh Trace - I wish I had seen your post earlier so I could comfort you! I've just had a tooth OUT because of an infection that got missed. I was all panicky because the stupid dentist told me that last time she did an extraction on a preg woman she went into labour the next day :eek: But I checked it all out with my Ob and dental surgeon and was assured it was all ok and I wasn't going to go into labour. A week later - everything in the mouth feels great (other than the annoying stitches rubbing on my gum!) and bubs is still kicking away happily in my belly! I hope it doesn't come back for you but salt water rinses will help heal everything. Or if that makes you feel sick (I found on hot days the salt water rinse actually made me feel really sick) there is a mouth wash called ceprecol which can help.

Love MG

Thanks MG,

It's all healed over really nicely, I was petrified... But its' a;ll good thanks!

I finished my ab's earlier this wk too & it feels all healed so phew!! I hated the stitches feeling when I have had extractions too....

Hope your feeling Ok & the stitches fall out soon...

That's great news Tracey...

I just looked at your website...your girls are totally gorgeous...WOW!!!!

With good looking parents like you two, I'm not surprised!

AWWWWW Thanks Monnie!!!!

WOOO HOOO, OMG, I just saw your pregnant!!! Thats' aWESOME!!! Or maybe it's baby & pregnancy brain & I have read it before??? Anyways a super huge Congrat's!!!