Thread: emphysema??

Default emphysema??

i was wondering how long can one survive approximately if they have emphysema and are now on oxygen most days? I ask as my step mom has it and lives on other side of country and its got me thinking...

thanks in advance.

I'm guessing it comes down to many factors, including a person's general fitness/wellness, their lifestyle (Ie are they still smoking? Do they exercise? Nutritious diet? Positive outlook on life?) along with other things like how much oxygen they are on, what their usual blood saturation levels are like etc.

My nanna died from old-age related organ-failure, but had emphysema & heart problems for some time before that. To start with she was still fairly active and got about with a little oxygen. I used to take her shopping and out to the movies and stuff, but she needed a little extra help at home. Over time ( a couple of years) her condition worsened, she was able to walk less and less in one sitting, and the amount of oxygen (in Litres/minute) was increased repeatedly. Towards the end she was virtually bed-bound, and prone to repeated doses of pneumonia. It was fairly apparent how much her health had declined over that time.

But I would expect a younger person who is proactive about their health would live a lot longer than that.

Hope that helps. Have you talked to your step mum or dad directly about it? Do they have a respiratory nurse or a social worker or someone helping them that you could talk to, to get an understanding of the issues they are facing? Because that's what you really need to know isn't it, how they will manage in their current and future situation?

it think your right i may need to talk to some one. I have asked my dad and mom but mom says im fine dad says no she is alright hasnt gotten much worse but no better eithor. No one wants to talk about it.

are they still smoking? nope quyit about 16 years agow hen found out she had early signs of this
    Do they exercise? no she does nto she used to go to the physio at the gym with nurses and she would require the air as well when exersizing.
    Nutritious diet? i would say doesnt eat 3 meals dailey mroe 1 meal and ist whater sort of a thing.
    Positive outlook on life?)i would say yes an making the most of what time she does have

how much oxygen they are on, unsure dont know should ask

what their usual blood saturation levels are like etc. don't know might have to ask.

she is in her mid 60's in age. ive heard that once its full time on oxygen its not more than 6 months alive is this right? She is also very prone to flu's and illnesses.

what should i ask? when asking my parents.... also thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

ive heard that once its full time on oxygen its not more than 6 months alive is this right?
    I really don't think you could say that, my nanna was on full time oxygen for a lot longer than that and by the sounds of it she was much more unwell than your stepmum by then.

I think you should just chat with your parents - which ever one you think will give you the most info - but I also think it might be better to wait until you are visiting and actually face to face to ask what you really want to know. Whatever you do, dont' ask how long anyone thinks she's got. People have the most amazing capacity to hang on to life, no matter what their medical condition is. Ask instead questions about how they are coping, what services they are getting help from (and do they need any more help) and gradually you will get an idea of how they are getting along, kwim?

ahh yep i do understand what u mean thanks again. i know she bend over or even get to the fridge with out being puffed out. visiting them is gonna be a impossibility unfortunately but wish i did have the cash to do so might have to ask dad on phone stuff.