Thread: Haemorrhoids - TMI - Sorry!

Unhappy Haemorrhoids - TMI - Sorry!

Hmmmm...okay, so I don't know how to say this and it's kind of embarrassing to ask but anyway... I suspect that I may have haemorrhoids and I don't know what to do...am I best to go to the GP to see if that's what it is (pretty sure it is) or is it okay just to go to the chemist and get some sort of cream or something!?!? Has anyone had this problem during pregnancy, and if so, what did you do about it??

Sorry for the yukky topic, I just don't know what to do or who else to ask...

Sherie ~ I had haemorrhoids with this last pregnancy and it was agony! I could not do anything. Walking, standing, bending over, even sitting was awful. I asked my OB about it and he said it is due to the pressure of the baby. If I were you I would go to the chemist and get some Hemocane, I think thats how it is spelt. It helps ease the pain of them. Also have lots of fibre in you diet so you don't have to strain cos straining can make them much worse. I found that after the bub was born they eased up almost straight away and also because it is an engorged blood vessel there isn't a lot that your gp can do, i have heard they lance them but that would be so painful. I found these wipes called Anusol, they really help with the pain when you go to the loo. Other than that all you can do is cold packs on the area and try sitting with your legs raised. All these tihngs helped me so maybe they will help you. Good luck with it. Sorry you have to go through this on your 1st pregnancy.

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Sherie....yeeees I've been there too. I agree, just get something over the counter at the chemist, plenty of fibre in your diet and just try to rest and take it easy. It definately isn't plesant, but unfortunately for many of us it is a part of pregnancy. Unfortunate that you have them in your 1st pregnancy, I didn't get them until second time around, but they went by the time she was a few weeks old. Good luck.

Thanks girls...it's good to hear that others have gone through it also and I think I will just go to the chemist...they should know what is okay to use during pregnancy I'm sure. Luckily it's not too uncomfortable yet, it's just annoying... It sucks big time though and I wish I didn't have to deal with it of course...haha! Still 3 more months before bub is due!

Sherie

Melody Guest

Hi Sherie, you poor thing..... this is the really difficult part of the pregnancy. My OB gave me sound advice & suggested to not only treat the problem on the surface (a good cream) but to alieviate the problem internally. He got me onto "Normicol" & it was instant relief. Go chat to your chemist & I hope the problem is fixed really soon.

Bugger, I just bought the Anusol ointment instead of wipes...duh! Does anyone know if it is safe to use? I have been searching the net and can find that the wipes are but it doesn't say anywhere anything about the ointment (and there is no info sheet in the packet!?!). The pharmacist said it's okay so I guess he'd know what he's doing...

Sherie, the pharmacists will generally only give you something that is a Category A drug which is safe to take during pg, but if in doubt, ring your doctor and make a quick enquiry.

I had this problem too ... and I wasn't even constipated (there is just so much pressure that you get them anyway). I found the Anusol wipes very soothing as well. Hope things improve soon.

Janie Guest

I just got this last weekend (on my first wedding anniversary). The chemist gave me some ointment and it really helped to relieve the pain. I'm only suppose to use mine for 7 days so have stopped now and so has the pain but I still actually have the 'rhoid'.

How long to they usually take to go down or away? It seems to be smaller and less inflamed than it was.

Seriously until I did some research (online of course) I never knew anything about them or that it is quite common in pregnancy. Another thing to deal with.

I'm a bit of a roid sufferer. Well not a bit, a lot. Unfortunately for some people they never go away but I think if they are a symptom of pg then they may go when you have bub.

Like others said, plenty of fibre, lots of water. Don't strain when going to the loo.

Janie, if it's no longer hurting, I'd just say look after it & hope it goes when bub comes.

When I was pregnant with Ben, i suffered from roids mildly, but giving birth made them so extremely painful, they were more painful than my stitches! Oh i had a horrible time. CouIdnt walk properly, couldnt sit... And when i did sit on my bum, when i got up, the blood rushed back to the area and made it throb so bad with pain! I was embarrased to ask the nurse for something to help, so i ended up getting Dh to ask for me!! They gave me ointment, and ice packs... They said i should have informed them i had them through pregnancy, and they would have kept a close eye on me. So, My advice... no matter how embarrasing it might be, inform the midwives/doctors about them!
    I still suffer now, but no where near as bad as i did. There are so many things about pregnancy and birth nobody tells you about!!

Janie Guest

You mean I could have them all through pregnancy - I thought it would go away!! I guess I'll talk to my OB about it next week. Don't really want to go to the doctor and flash my a-hole to check. Very embarrassing!

I would definately talk to your OB. Yeah, you may have them the whole pg, but you can do things to minimise your discomfort a lot. Like Katie said - let all of your carers know so they can help minimise damage in labour.

Just thought I'd post to confirm that 'rhoids are very common in pregnancy and that if you find yourself in a lot of pain don't fret too much about showing them to your OB/GP (maybe during a routine internal - they're poking around there anyway) because they've seen much worse... honestly they look at people's private parts on a daily basis and they do become desensitised. I'm a really modest kind of person too but when I've had to grit my teeth and "bare it" (excuse the pun) the professional dealing with me usually assures me that they've seen it all before.... what amazes me are women that will flash their bits to beauticians for XXX waxing but shy away when it comes to an issue like this! LOL (I could never ask for a private bits waxing! funny how our minds work huh?)

Anyhow I'd also like to recommend products like FyboGel and metamucil. 'rhoids do get worse for a while after labour (mine have only just shrunk and settled down) so don't freak out ... just say to yourself "this too will pass!" I also got my first small one with my 1st pregnancy... got a bit bigger each subsequent pregnancy but I'm just starting to think that all will be well and back to normal soon enough