Thread: Help! Abnormal Liver Functions? Any knowledge or experience?

Unhappy Help! Abnormal Liver Functions? Any knowledge or experience?

So I took myself to the doctors a week ago because I was feeling tired and dizzy Had some blood tests and something came back for further attention - I kind of assumed low iron or something...but my liver function tests/levels were apparently concerning

I don't drink much - a glass here and there - no more than once a week anyway. No tatoos or iv drugs (these are all the qns she asked me) Anyone got any experience with this? I don't want to ask Dr Google because I know I'll just scare myself

I have an ultrasound booked for Friday but probably won't get results untill Monday and I have a follow up appt with my GP for Tuesday. I also had a stack more blood tests today.

I guess I'm just worried it will be something bad - and I only have one liver! We are also ttc #2 and I am worried this may impact that as well.

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

technically your liver is self healing, but since having DD and HELLP syndrome when DD was born mine have been out of kilter too. Mine were monitored constantly throughout my last 2 pregs and didn't seem to change much until right at the end.
    Like you I'm not a drinker (and now even more so) no pill popping, drugs, tattoos. I try to keep a good clean dies these days and have bouts where I know they're a bit average, but the doctors have told me that some people are just like that
    I've had all the scans/tests and they can't find anything.

You only have one liver, but the liver is an organ that can regenerate.

I have bad liver function results on and off - it started randomly out of nowhere and we think it was because I got a virus that attacks the liver. I too had an ultrasound - which showed fatty deposits in the liver. I was frightened out of my mind!

BUT - with reducing fat in my diet (I don't drink at all, really) my liver was able to recover eventually. I can tell these days when my liver is inflammed and acting up and I just make appropriate adjustments. My liver has even improved over time while taking medications that can be quite badly toxic to the liver, so there's always hope.

As to whether it will impact on TTC #2 - I don't think so, but that will also depend on just how bad your liver function is. For me it was only a couple of liver enzymes that would be elevated and while they were over normal limits, they weren't incredibly high. Is there any yellowing to your skin or the whites of your eyes? That's something I'm told to keep an eye on but it's never happened.

Try not to stress until you get the results - don't open the envelope to read the report and don't go to Dr Google. I can assure you that neither will help and will just cause way more stress.

BW

Does anybody in your family have haemochromatosis? It causes too much iron in the blood. Abnormal liver function test results can be the first indication, but this condition can be managed once diagnosed. Good on you for checking it out. Don't stress too much til the rsults come back.

Abnormal liver function tests can mean many things or nothing. Sorry if that sounds vague.
    Liver function tests are a bit of a misnomer as the test is actually a group of tests that looks for different things. For eg. Bilirubin can be elevated if you have Gilberts Syndrome. This is a benign condition that causes a raised "LFT" but only one part of the LFT panel is elevated.
    Apart from the well known causes like Hepatitis there are many other things that can cause abnormal LFT's recent viral illness/infection and some medications including panadol that can cause raised LFT's. Other things which can raise one of the panel of tests include a recent bone break (this can raise the Alk Phos), or bile duct obstructions high fat diets, etc.
    I wouldn't worry yet until you need to. Or if you need any further advice (I was a Biochemist in a medical lab before I started my career as a Mummy) ask your Dr which of the LFT's was raised and I can try and put your mind at ease. You can PM if you like.
    Your Dr is being thorough by checking things with an US, try not to worry.

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback.

Krisp - my results that were elevated were Gamma GT - 74 ( < 50) , ALP - 175 (30-120) , ALT - 129 ( < 50) , AST - 54 ( < 40)

I hope this makes sense!

K

This what you would call a "mixed" pattern.

There are so many questions to aid a diagnosis or find the cause - Do you have a chronic bowel disease? Chronic inflammation like IBS can cause mixed raised LFT's. If you are obese or have a high fat diet that can also cause a mixed pattern by what is known as a "fatty liver". Have you recenty had any muscle or bone damage, recently begun extreme excercise like marathon training or something extremely strenuous and out of the ordinary for you? Do you take any anti-seizure medication like Dilantin for epilepsy for eg - this can cause raised LFT's. You could have a blocked bile duct caused by a stone which could result in your LFT's being raised.

I'm not a Dr so I can't give you a definite diagnosis. What I can say is that there are many reasons for this type of abnormal test and your Dr will be doing further investigations to determine the cause which is why you have had further blood tests and are having an US. The fact that your Dr is looking for an answer says that you are in good hands.

Try not to worry. xx

Abnormal LFTs can pop up over a period of time for a number of reasons. I had some abnormal tests, got sent for the ultrasound, they found fatty liver and gallstones, had the gallbladder op, and several months later the LFTs returned to normal. They went really wacky again when I had some major surgery last year, apparently it can be a reaction to the medications or even the trauma of the surgery on your system...again, they went back to normal gradually on their own. I did take it as warning sign and I'm more careful now to avoid fatty food (not completely) and also lots of highly refined carbs (which also place a load on the liver). Exercise, healthy eating, getting plenty of rest and generally respecting your body are all things that are helpful. Love your liver and it will love you back .

Hi ControlFreak

Although your results are a little high none of them are high enough to cause any concern. However because they are a little higher than normal, and it is not known if this has recently happened and the results are going up or if it happened a little while ago and the results are going back to normal, Further tests would be a good idea. HELPP syndrome in your previous pregnancy would probably cause these sort of results.