Thread: HELP! Chicken pox

Default HELP! Chicken pox

Ashlea has the chicken pox! Its driving me and her both crazy, no one is getting any sleep and nothing is helping!
    She's had some panadol or nurofen for the pain and aches, and we tried phenergan and painstop for the itching and it didnt really help, nor did it help her sleep.
    She becomes hysterical at the thought of putting anything on them or anything in the bath.
    Does anyone have any idea of how to get through the chicken pox??????

How old is Ashlea, Dee? Have you tried gloves to stop her from actually scarring from scratching? Also, calamine lotion (there is a more expensive, thicker version which has a similiar name which is even better) is a pain to put on, but it definately helps to soothe the itching.

I had chicken pox at 15yrs and I still remember how miserable I was. Pinetarsol in the bath also helped but it does stink and I know you mentioned that Ashlea doesn't want to bath with anything in there.

I'm not really a fan of food bribery, but perhaps it might work in this instance? I had chicken pox down my throat so I survived for 10 days on mostly yoghurt, icecream and orange juice.

We just had this go through our whole family over Christmas. Calamine lotion really helped. I so sympathesise as I know just how horrible it can be.Can you maybe get her to do it as really it doesnt matter how much is put on. I hope it clears up soon..its those first few days of itchy that are the worst!!!

Jo

The other stuff is called Caladril (sp?) also you could try some oats in a stocking in her bath, maybe try and hide it?? Be thankful that it's atleast cool weather, chicken pox in the heat is sooo much worse. Umm you've tried phenergan, what about Polaramine??

Sorry other than time, I have no other solutions.

When Maddy got it we had just landed in bali & I panicked thinking from the humidity they'd not heal quickly & stay all festery (pusy etc)... But we put a calamine powder on her & plenty of Orange juice... She basically slept infront of the TV with a fan blowing on her for 2 days & then every morning at 5am, we'd go down the beach & let her soak in the salty water... She healed up within the week, but then my friend got them & then DH... It was awful...

Good Luck!

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Firstly, i was told by 2 doctors not to use calamine lotion because it dries them out from the outside which causes scars. They gave me some other clear stuff that is made for chicken pox that dries them out from the core to the surface to stop scarring. It doesnt matter anyway because the very thought of having something put on them makes her scream hysterically

Becka, Ashlea is almost 5. Ashlea also has them in her mouth and throat so she's been eating ice cream and jelly and drinking juice and lemonade. She's loving that part of it because usually i dont let her have much like that.

Jo, it really is nasty isn't it? Sleeping has been a disaster and my eyes are falling out of my head!

Trish, the polaromine is a great idea, thanks i'll give it a go

Tracey, the heat in Bali would have been terrible! Ashlea is such a picky little girl she'd never go in the salt water while covered in pox! It was bad enough convincing her to get in a bath!

Thanks everyone for your ideas, now we just need to get her to take panadol without the hge drama's. She hates the medicne and her temp has been 39.4