Thread: High Blood Pressure

Pietta Guest

Default High Blood Pressure

Hello all.

I have just been told by my doc that I have high blood pressure 160/100. I never had high blood pressure during pregnancy and now i do. It is a mixture of reasons which i know about but i wanted to find out if anyone had any non pregnancy related high blood pressure and did they take medication or do it naturally?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated coz i have been given tablets but I alsways get freaked about tablets and taking them.

So thanks in advance for any help i might get!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Pee

While TTC my blood pressure shot up.I didn't go on any medication but worked on trying to de-stress as I knew that work was the reason why and TTC.I got it down while pregnant but at 23 weeks it peaked again, so I gave up work for good and its dropped again to normal.

The reason my blood pressure before I was pregnant was so high was because I had alot of pressures in my life.Maybe thats the case for you, trying to juggle to many things at once.You'd be surprised how it effects your body!

Pietta Guest

Thanks Kirsty.

Yeah i think that would have a lot to do with it. For starters Ryley hasnt been sleeping and i have been really stressed by that.
    I appreciate your reply. I am going to try to relax more often.

kirsty Guest

During both of my pregnancies I suffered high BP from relatively early stages (pg 1 - 23wks, pg 2 - 13wks) & used medication to control it.

After losing my son last year during the pg at a follow up appt with my Dr he said I had high BP & advised I take medication & try to lose some weight to help try to lower it. I am severely overweight & have lost 14kgs which has helped as I was on two different types of medication to control it (a higher dose of a single one bought out all the side effects & I felt terrible) & now am only one lot of medication. My aim is to eventually be drug free, hopefully by continuing to lose weight & get to my goal weight. But Dr is against me going totally off the meds just yet as we would like another baby & as soon as I am pg my BP shoots up, so he doesn't want to stress my body by changing things around on it too much. He has also said that there is no guarantee that I will be able to live without meds but we will wait & see what happens. My POV is that if taking a tablet a day is all it takes to make sure I am healthy & around to see my son grow up then I am ok with that.

Pietta Guest

Thanks for your responses.

I went to have BP checked out today and it has gone down from 160/100 to 135/90 which is great!! I am really happy with that. I am also going to get it checked out again on Thursday.

I hope i dont need to take this medication.... I am scared!!

Yeah.. I remember my dr (and the nurse where I donate blood) saying that you only have a prob if your blood pressure is regularly high? kwim? One or two instances might be from too much exercise before the reading, having a cough, plain nerves etc..

The main ways ive heard of on reducing it is reducing salt intake, cutting back alcohol consumption and maintaining healthy exercise (and weight level). But yeah, there are natural methods..

I remember a friend at Uni telling me she'd got high blood pressure at end of pregnancy, dr wanted to induce.. she saw her naturopath, who gave her some special herbs (not sure what, but safe) and it went straight down.. So obivously if it can help then, it could surely help nonpregnancy. Maybe if you could see someone in that kind of area? I understand what you mean about not wanting to just take pills all the time.

love,
    Kirby

Melinda Guest

Pee - I don't have any suggestions about the blood pressure, never having had any problems with that myself, but I just wanted to let you know that I totally sympathise with you regarding Ryley's sleep (or lack thereof!). Jacob started to have some sleeping problems at 6.5m of age and it really stresses you out and takes it out of you.

I hope that his sleep settles down for you soon and that it is just coinciding with some kind of developmental milestone for him (which often happens) or some toothie-pegs or something like that. I know how hard it is though........