Thread: I have an ear infection and its oozing blood

Unhappy I have an ear infection and its oozing blood

My husband has been sick for over a week now with a severe throat infection. I thought I was lucky because until Sunday, I wasn't showing any symptoms so thought I wasn't going to contract it. Sunday comes and I get a sore throat and headache. Sunday night I didn't sleep at all because I developed an earache in my right ear. Monday we went to the Dr and after checking me quite quickly and telling me I had a minor ear infection in both ears as well as a minor throat infection, the Dr prescribed me antibiotics and some ear drops. I went to bed last night with a towel under my head and woke up to find blood on the towel. My ear has been slowly oozing blood, and has been all day now. Should I be worried?

Hi Jess,
    You should get yourself to an ENT (ear nose and throat) doc as soon as you can. Its nothing to really panic about as you may have just burst a blood vessel in your ear but that could turn the infection a little bit worse.
    I suffered from cronic ear infections as a teenager and it ended up being these little calas type cyst things called clostomas. (my spelling is all wrong I think) but they can sit behind the ear drum and in front of the ear drum. Mine were behind the ear drum but after 10 years have healed themselvs.

Thats just my mini story with my ears...... but I would go to your doc and get a referal and get in as soon as you can... you dont want it to turn into anything serious.

Good luck honey and I hope you feel better soon!!
    xoxoxoxo

Thanks for that, kitty! I used to have horrible ears when I was young too, and thought I had finally gotten over all those earaches as I hadn't had one in years. It kind of freaks me out that theres blood coming out of my ear, I can't remember my ears ever doing that while having an infection. I heard it could be a burst eardrum too (which fixes itself, so nothing to really worry about).

I think that it may just be a perforated (sp) ear drum, you should go back to a different Dr or go to the hospital ER just to be safe, if it's a perforated ear drum it will heal itself, but defineately see a Dr you don't want to mess with your hearing.

hugs xoxo

ooooo ouchies! I remember having a severe infection when I was a child. I hope you feel better soon

Sounds to me like you may have a ruptured eardrum. I'd make an urgent appointment to see your GP. If not, I'd go to the emergency department of your local hospital.