Thread: Ingrown Nail

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Default Ingrown Nail

Hey,
    Im just wondering if any of you had one? What did you do? Did you have to get it cut out? Did it hurt? Did you see a normal GP or a Podiatrist??
    I have one on my big toe, it really really hurts, and is getting worse. I dont really know what to do with it lol.
    Sorry, its a weird Q, but i need some one with experience lol.

Enchanted Guest

Go to the Dr hun. I get bad ingrowns on my big toes and they kill!! I tried fixing it myself once and I made it worse. Your Dr will know how to do it properly

Butterfly_Princess Guest

how do they do it?? does it hurt??

Enchanted Guest

It depends on how bad it is. If they really need to dig in they usually give you (your toe) a local aneasthetic (sp?) and then cut it away. Your toe will be sore for a few days but it will feel much better after that

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Scary. Ok, well i think ill make an appt tomorrow. Fun times.

Oh meg i feel your pain!
    I had an ingrwon toenail the whole time we lived in england and backpacked it was awful!

I had the side part of the nail removed right out of the bone! It doesnt grow back but the skin covers it now. It hurt for a couple of days but i have never had annother! I saw a gp who reffered me to a podiatrist!

good luck hope it gets better really quickly! x

I had the same treatment as Boomba for my ingrown. I had let it go for too long and messed around with it myself. I was referred to a surgeon and it done with a local in his rooms. Not too bad as long as you keep up with the pain meds, the worst bit was having the bandage removed, that hurt the most. See a Dr as you might also need antibiotics in case it is infected as well.

Oh yeah - not much fun. I get them often but have found a way of dealing with it when I feel one coming on. I don't recommend this as a first step - go and see your GP - they will be able to fix it for you. But, here are some tips:

* they occur because the nail is cut too short and can't sit above the skin properly so it is better to trim your nails twice as often and not so enthusiastically IYKWIM

* if you see that one is happening - before it gets all red or pussy - DO NOT cut anything. what you need to do is get a small amount of cotton wool (like about as much as you can pull from the top of an ear bud/cue tip) and twist it so that it turns out like a little mini rope. Then you use tweezers or similar and place it under the corner of the nail that is becoming ingrowing. Make sure that each end of the "rope" comes out above the nail (one on the "front" of the toe and one on the side) so that you have sort of pushed up the corner that is digging in (does all that make sense? hope so). Replace the "rope" each time you shower and after about 3 days the nail should have grown enough that it isn't cutting in anymore and you don't have to do it anymore.

Hope this helps

Enchanted Guest

Oooer good advice M!!

Will have to keep that in mind for next time, I never thought of that (the "rope")

I have heard of using dental floss to go under the nail.

Also don't go covering with a bandaid when red and pussy. It keeps the area damp and a granuloma could grow. Let it air out.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Removed..from the bone??!
    Ahh this is sounding all too scary now. Im thinking mine is pretty bad, it hurts like h3ll, even if i touch it slightly, or put a sock on as gently as possible. Oh my..
    Okay, well, im convinced to def get it looked at asap.
    Thanks so much girls, its gonna hurt but im sure nothing on what it does atm.

I did have the option of either having the side permantly removed or have the whole nail pulled out so it could grow again. Pulling out runs the risk of still getting an ingrown in the future.