Thread: Ingrown Toenail

Default Ingrown Toenail

Anyway had an ingrown toenail surgically removed? I need to have it done and I was wondering what the procedure was like, as well as the recovery.

Thanks

My DF had this done a couple of months ago. Do you need the whole nail removed or just part of it? DF had only part of the nail removed. First they put an elastic band around the toe to stop the blood flow then they inject it with anestetic(sp) until it's all numb. Then they pull away the skin where the nail is ingrown, lift the nail off the toe and cut right down the the botton of the nail. It took about 20-30 minutes and he didn't feel a thing. not sure how they do it if it's the while nail though.

with recovery, the nail that has been cut off actually isn't growing back but it only took a couple of weeks to heal.

Fee Guest

I've had 2 "ops" on an ingrown toe nail - both times when I was in high school. The local GP just did it. Had to get about 2 needles in my big toe - that was the painful part! Then I guess he snipped one side of the nail away. Had about 2-3 stitches I think. The yuck part afterwards was changing the dressings. It's all so long ago now though so it's a bit hazy!!!

I've had both my big toes done...and in hindsight, I can't believe I lived with excruitating pain for so long before having something done about them.

I had one done by a GP and one by a podiatrist.

The GP one was a local anasthetic and then they simply cut down the the side of my toe nail into the nail bed and then got a teeny tiny ice-cream scoop thing which removed the nail bed. No stiches and only minor pain afterwards. Just a dressing to change. The side of the nail that was cut is thicker and a bit ridgey.

The podiatrist one was very professional and looking at my toe, you can't tell I;ve had anythign done. he reomved the nail the same way, but instead of scoopiung out the nail bed, he put some chemical on a cotton bud and I guess cauterised it. Again, linited pain and dressing to change.

I had them so bad, I couldn't put shoes on and I couldn't walk with out pain.

Much better now.....!!! \/

Thanks for the replies. I am booked in next week. I really need it done before I have to started wearing closed toe shoes. The pain is getting worse now, I have woken myself up a few times just by lying the wrong way.

The GP at my normal centre, does not like to do them, she has only done a few, so I have been referred to a Surgeon. It is going to cost over $300 and get 1/2 back on Medicare. So not cheap.

Getting annoyed at MIL and DH who think that cutting a V will fix it. I think they have now idea how bad my toe is.

Yeah that cutting a V in the nail is not for the truelly ingrown toenails of this world!!!

You will get a better result (finish) from a surgeon IMO.

Had it done yesterday. Glad I went to a surgeon and not used the GP. The surgeon was really nice. So I will be out of action for awhile, not easy with a baby. Also really difficult to take painkillers and still be safe with her.

Oh I know. Painkillers and holding onto babies can be a tricky combinations. I take strong painkillers for migraines and even peth injections too. I have to wake DH if I get up in the middle of the night to feed just so he can come and get the baby if he hears a "thump"! LOL.

Glad it went well. You won't know yourself.