Thread: Metatarsal (3rd and 4th) Pain Right Foot

Default Metatarsal (3rd and 4th) Pain Right Foot

Has anyone else out there experienced this?
    I have pain at the joints of the toes and 3rd and 4th metatarsals of my right foot.
    However, when I put weight on it, the pain radiates down the whole midfoot from middle to little toe - like little knives. It's sore underneath and on top which is bruised and slightly swollen. It's worse in the morning and my doctor says it's arthritis. I'm more inclined to think it's a stress fracture as I'm a bit lazy and the day I noticed it I'd done more walking and faster than usual in high heels over a gravel area. It's my access road to work so it was difficult to avoid. Of course, I ignored the pain and did the same thing the following day - that was almost two weeks ago and it's not easing, not even with rest.
    My reflexology book indicates this is the breast area. :shock:
    Can anyone help? I've already had nine days of rest with no relief. Painkillers and Mobic anti-inflammatories (shoulder tendonitis) are not doing a thing. I'll be sacked at this rate!
    Sue

Hi Sue

Ouch!

Metatarsals are the five long bones in the "palm" of the foot yes? i.e. not the toes themselves?

I'm wondering if you have a spur and that your galavant in high-heels-on-gravel-faster-than-usual has set it off. Or may be you are right and have a stress fracture. What about getting it x-rayed. Its been hanging around for too long in my book. Nine days with no relief is not good. And you need those feet for your trip my girl.

I've had a spur. It hurts like hell when you put your foot down on it when you get up and then stays sore all day. I treated mine with vegetal silica and rest. You can also get cortisone injections which is what my mum did. Both worked. PM me if you want to lo-down on the silica. the pain gets worse before it gets better as it activates things. You also need to be near a loo for the first couple of days just in case other things get stirred too. LOL.

Thanks Kar, your description of a spur sounds identical. It is worst when I get up in the morning though, then eases until I try to walk normally.
    I'd be grateful if you'd PM the info on the vegetal silica. Best to do it on Friday night by the sounds of it...
    I have a form for an X-ray from the doc. My surfing on the net says if it's a metatarsal stress fracture it usually doesn't show up for a few weeks though :-s
    I have an appointment with the doctor again on Wednesday but not really sure there's much point until have had the x-ray, which I think I'd rather wait for.
    Thanks for the advice Kar, just frustrating when I have no real recollection of anything major happening to cause this much pain! At the time that I think I did it, it really didn't seem like much more than an annoyance.

Kar
    Found out today there's a tiny stress fracture, just barely visible, in the third metatarsal.
    Off for a bone scan tomorrow.
    Arthritis Shmarthritis

Hi Sue
    that is good news. time for some comfrey leaves if the frost hasn't got them yet!