Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methyl Salicylate

Meckhan
    Even though you have used this cream for more than a week it is still unlikely that it has caused any harm to your baby. The amount of Methyl Salicylate that would get into your blood would be small. I am not aware of any documented cases of harm being causes to a foetus by using this cream on the skin. The only way of causing abnormalities in animals was by giving them a very large oral dose. The reason that I suggest that you do not use this is because it has not been proven to be completely safe.

Cool

Thanks Alan,

You're a great help...

Thanks Alan, that's a relief...

i have another concern, it's about eating raw fish.. you see, i love to eat Japanese food (sashimi).. i have read that eating raw meat may cause miscarriage.. is it the same with fish??

Unfortunately raw fish can be a problem. I would suggest that you give it a miss until after your baby is born

Dear Alan
    I just found i am 3-4 weeks pregnant and am terrified that I have harmed my baby, I had no idea that i was pregnant, and was delighted to find out I am, but then i did some researching on the internet, I am a physio and sometimes do some work for a local rugby club, which i did approximately 2 weeks into my pregnancy before I knew, alot of this work involves pre match warm up rubs which uses deep heat along with massage milk, I wash my hands after the rubs but I would do 7-8 rubs that day so that would involve a reasonable amount of deep heat mostly on them but i am worried re the amount i may have absorbed and possible problems I may have caused, would the 12 wk scan show any damage. I feel awful about this and am past myself that I have harmed my baby.Obvisiously I will use gloves for any work I do in the future. What should I do?
    Jennie

Hi Jenniebailey
    There is no need to worry your baby will be fine. There is no proof that Methyl Salicylate, which I am sure that you know, is the main component of deep heat, can harm the human foetus. The problem is that it has not been proven safe. Also there is very little that can harm your baby prior to 2 weeks. I think that using gloves from now on is a good idea in fact I would suggest that you double glove.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12