Thread: Migranes - HELP I need Advice!!!!

Default Migranes - HELP I need Advice!!!!

Ok girls,
    I need some help here. I am a migrane sufferer and have so since i started my periods. The only time i didn't get migranes was when i was pg. Have been charting my cycle for ages and have worked out that everytime my temp changes dues to ovulation, period starting/finishing etc. i get a migrane.

have been going to a natropath for 18 months now, with some success, but now the have gotten outta control again and I am getting up to 4 a month. Also started seeing a osteopath around a month ago.

I have 2 1/2 year old twins so trying to deal with them when I am unwell is getting impossible. They get so bad that I cannot stop throwing up and the pain in my head is unbearable. Over the counter pain control no longer work.

I am at my wits ends. Does anyone have any suggestions about what has worked for them. I am also TTC number 3 without any success, so these damm hormones are giving me the ****s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    odette

Hi Odette

I too am a migraine sufferer but the day before my period arrives. My GP says it is the sudden drop in progesterone which is causing it for me. I have come off the pill to see if that helped, but I got a migraine during the week when AF arrived, so will see what happens next month.

To relief mine at the moment I take Mersyndol, have you tried that. You can buy this in night or day strength. Night strength makes you drowsy.

If I continue to get migraines when I have my period being off the pill I will have to look into progesterone supplements.

Love

Melinda Guest

Just wondering if you've spoken to your Doctor about this? There may be something they can do as it does sound like it's very much caused by the hormonal changes in your cycle. Perhaps they can give you something by prescription that will be more effective or offer you some other kind of suggestion?

I hope you find something that works....I can only imagine how awful that must be!

JoDan Guest

I have been a migraine sufferer since I was ten (turing 25 tomorrow) so know quite abit about them.

Mine have never been related to my cycle though.

I have been able to manage mine now with regular chiropractic visits, as the cause of mine are from my neck.

When you get your next migraine, try to pinpoint where the most pain is coming from. If it is the base of your head/neck, and in your sinuses, then chiro very well could be a cure. Of course not for everyone.

A friend of mine was on this drug from her dr and if she didn't take it she got a migraine. Also, she used to put chilli patches on her next from the healthfood shop. She said they always helped heaps.

Good luck.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I was diagnosed with migraines aged 6, and I have my paternal family to thank for this lovely legacy - I get all the usual suspects - absolutely unbearable pain and projectile vomiting. And I get them about 4-5 times a month.

The best thing that works for me is Aspalgin. It's available over the counter, and it's plain asprin mixed with a tiny bit of codeine. The asprin is a vasodilator, which means that it opens up and relaxes the blood vessels in your head (tight, constricted blood vessels are what causes the pain in a migraine). For me, the Aspalgin works best if I team it with a strong cup of coffee (caffeine is a major ingredient in many migraine medications).

I've also had good success with acupuncture, but it's something that I need to do regularly (about once a fortnight), which is pricey after a while.

Of course, the occasional hospital admission and resulting pethidine injection really helps

Have you tried any of the migraine preventers, such as Imigran or Sandomigran?

I hope you find something that works sweetie. Migraines are the absolute pits.

Hi all just an update
    went and had b/tests done and everything was normal. Just got over another one which started 12 before AF -grr
    Also tried Imigrin this time around. It meant that it didn't get any worse, but still was pretty bad. Had the migrane for two days.
    Went to osteopath again today to free my neck up. so hopefully no more until Ovulation. Something to look forward to

anyway still open to suggestions
    thanks everyone for you advice so far
    odette

Sweetie, I get them also, although yours sound 10x worse than mine, all it affects is my vision, and light.

I use MIGRSTICK, it's the only thing that works, I suggest that if you haven't used it already give it a go-can't hurt right!

Good luck hun. O

ok another update. Turns out i have na over-active thyroid. Don't know if it is the cause of the excessive migranes until it is under control. Osteopath is making a huge difference - only one this month and took imigrin early and it didn't develop any further - yeahh!!!!!

now i have to find out what is causing the overactive thyriod. so off for more tests etc.

thanks all for you help!
    odette

Yay for you - I'm glad to hear that you've only one migraine this month.

I hope your over-active thyroid doesn't cause you too many problems.