Thread: MMR jab

Default MMR jab

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but, after doing a bit of research I really want to avoid my son having the MMR jab, but measles does sound like a frightening illness, and I'm not sure if I want to risk him catching it.

Does anyone know if there is a measles only vaccine available privately? Does anyone have any experience with the illness? Do people think the risks of MMR outweigh the risks of the measles virus?

Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Have you considered homeopathic vaccination?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

From my understanding you are able to get the MMR as seperate vaccinations through your GP but you have to pay for them as opposed to the government paying for it.

I am not sure you can get them separately in Aus. They are available overseas, and I think you can pay to have some imported, but it is not an easy process.

Yes, it can be quite difficult to source the measles-only vaccine as it is not manufactured or approved for use in Australia. As has been suggested, it may be possible to import it from overseas.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for that. I think a homeopathic vaccination is definitely worth thinking about. Thanks for that info. Does anyone know if he is likely to be refused places in childcare/schools etc if I don't get him vaccinated?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mamatochompers; July 12th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.

There can be some difficulties but it is not actually legal to refuse a child into childcare/schools because they have not been vaccinated. There are many recognised reasons for vaccination exemption, such as religion,culture, etc, get in touch with the Australian Vaccination Network for advice:
    AVN - > AVN - Home

Good luck and well done for researching, too many people blindly vaccinate without investigating first. :-)

If you skip any or all of the vaccines you can register as a conscientious objector then your child can't be refused any care or education. If there is an outbreak of the illness they are not vaccinated against at the centre then they will usually be excluded until it is deemed safe for them to return.

Can someone explain how you go about doing a conscientous objection and where you lodge it please as i am planning on avoiding the MMR for my DD. Thank you

Hi again,

Thanks for all the replies. I think the conscientious objection form is the last link on this website: Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) forms - Medicare Australia.

All the best