Thread: Natural remedies for Insulin Resistance

Question Natural remedies for Insulin Resistance

As the title suggests i am wondering what are some natural ways to lower Insulin?

Last June i learnt the reason why in year 11 i packed on 20kgs within a year and have always been unable to lose it.

I have always been somewhat active. We don't drive so walking is the main mode of transport for us. So when i decided to join a gym when i was 19, i even had a PT which i saw her twice a week as well as attending the gym every other day. After 6 weeks i hadn't lost anything even though i had been training quite hard.

It wasn't until i had a blood test that i found out my insulin was 3 times what it should be. I was put on Diabex XR (metformin) and within 3 months i had lost 9kgs but the side effects were awful, the worst was the horrid stomach cramps.

In the last couple of weeks i have gained 7kgs despite going to the gym a few times a week and walking 4kms nearly everyday (walking to the shops and back)

Also am i always going to have issues with my Insulin?

the best long term solution for insulin resistance is a low GI diet so that you lessen the need for the body to over produce insulin....... you could google low Gi diet and look at some websites otherwise the bible book on the subject is "The new glucose revolution" by professor jennie brand miller.

my niece is the same as you and actually has a subscription to the Diabetic Living magazine just for the stacks of great recipes they have in each issue...... Hope that helps as a starting point.
    Oh and to answer your question, yes it will probably always be something you are prone to but diet can make a huge difference to how it affects you...

I agree with diet. Also more exercise. I also have insulin issues (PCOS) and have gone on to lose 40kgs. So if i can do it, anyone can. Mine is much more "controlled" now.

Wow thats impressive!! i need to lose close to 30kgs to be considered a 'normal' weight for my height.

i'd love to know how you did it. what you ate and how much exercise you did.

I've had a look at Low GI food options and it doesnt look too hard to do at all.

I joined Weight Watchers and have been going to their meetings for almost 6 months now. WW is fantastic and SOOO easy to do. Cheap too