Thread: Peanut Allergies

Default Peanut Allergies

Hi all,

I was just wondering, is it possible to develop an allergy to peanuts as an adult or just during pg? I have noticed when I have peanut butter on toast int he mornings I am left with "lump of bread" stuck in my throat feeling for the rest of the day. I was thinking it was the bread but now I wonder if it could actually be the peanut butter. I have always eaten it. I dare say from at least 4 yrs old. I love it. But could it be that i am becoming allergic?

definitely possible darl!

it took me 10 years until i was totally allergic to lactose

Yep allergies can certainly build up over time/exposure to the allergen. So I dont think its umcommon for people to get allergies when adults as well.
    I guess the only way you will know for sure is if you go to see an Allergist.... or if you eat Peanut Butter again and get a worse reaction (which I dont recommend you do!)

Absolutely possible to develop quite severe allergies over time...

When I was younger, I used to be able to eat bananas without a problem, then slowly, I started to get an itchy throat after eating one, but could still eat things like banana cake... then I became itchy after doing that...

Now, it has got so severe that eating a piece of fruit that has been sitting against a banana can give me breathing issues, a teaspoon of ice cream that contains banana puree made me quite bad for several days - I hate to think what would happen if I ate a whole banana - I suspect it could be damn near fatal. I have similar issues with rockmelon. They are both fruits that I don't even touch.

If you suspect this is what's happening - then avoid peanuts at all costs, and possibly even get checked out by a doctor.

BW

Thanks, I think I will make an appointment to talk about it with my GP. I just would have felt like a twit if it was something you get as a child and I wakl in and say I think I have this.

I might go with out for a week then have some again and see what happens. Or maybe I will just live with out. Another thing to, If I have developed a peanut allergy, seems it has happened while I am pg I wonder if the baby will be allergic too?