Thread: The Pill

*TamaraP* Guest

Default The Pill

I am going back on the Pill... are there different brands out there?? I can't remember for the life of me whats out there?!?!

I don't want to go on Implanon as this made me put of a LOT of weight and I don't want DEPO.

Oddly enough, i checked out the Schering website (they make the Pills over here) and no info on their different brands... how strange.

Over here most people are put straight onto Microgynon, the cheapest option, but the "latest greatest" one would be Yasmin, as it has the least side-effects.

If you try the manufacturer maybe they have info on the different types on their website?

hey Tamara, ATM I am on Microgynon 30 ED and have found them to be really good, cause I have had problems on Depo and went from that onto these.

From memory there is also Triquilar ED too.

I used Marvelon and found, for me, that it was the best in terms of no mood swings and no weight gain..........

Tamara, bear in mind though that after being on the pill for ages, I did take me a LOOOONG time to concieve: I am not sure if the two are connected or not?

I am not sure what your current TTC time-plan is, but maybe ask your GP about some other forms of contraception that interfere less with your fertility? (IUD?) Dunno.....sorry......I am an interfering old bag.......
    Last edited by Lucy; May 31st, 2006 at 04:49 PM.

i was on levelin which is a generic brand and was perfect. NO acne, no weight gain, no headaches nothing.

I have been on Levlen ED for over 4 months now... and I actually dont have any complaints about it. I was petrified I would gain weight from it, but I havent. I think the first month or 2 I was a bit moody on it, but now it has settled down.
    Levlen is a pill where you take the same 'dose' of hormone the whole way through the cycle (except for those 7 AF days)
    I have previously been on a pill called Logynon which varies the hormone dosage throughout the cycle, but I have since found out that doing this is astually worse for mood swings etc.

I agree with you there Ambah. I was on that years ago and it didn't agree with me at all.

*TamaraP* Guest

Lucy,
    Unfortunately we have decided to stop trying for at least 2-3 years.
    We have decided that we want to extend and get this place up to scratch and then start again in a couple of years.

When i first started on the pill, the nurse at family planning recommended Marvelon to me because I still had really irregular periods and also needed something to make my skin settle down a bit. It made my skin really good and all my ugly pimples went away really quickly. I actually found it to be really good and I didnt have any mood swings, weight gain, random bleeding or the other side affects people talk about with other pills. They told me it was also comparable to the Yasmin pill too. Marvelon was a bit pricey though - I think I was paying about $13 per month for it. I dont know whether there is a generic version of it or not.

I also used Brevinor and Norimin, which are the same thing. Norimin is just the cheapo version of Brevinor, and again, I had no side affects with either of those. Actually with Norimin it made my period really light and some months I had no bleeding at all and sometimes just a couple days of spotting instead of a full on AF. It was about $19 for a pack of 4 months worth.

I have also used Microlut which is a mini pill. It actually didnt agree with me and made me feel nauseous all the time so I abandoned it after about 2 or 3 months.

Can't help you out Tamara, sorry! I cannot remember all of the ones I was tried on. I did try out Microgynon (sp?) Marvelon, Nordette, Brevinor,Triphasil, Provera - tablets and Depo - needle, none of which worked for me.

Hope you find one that agrees with you

Nic