Thread: Pregnancy with an autoimmune disease

Rexee Guest

Default Pregnancy with an autoimmune disease

Hi everyone

I am pregnant for the second time - (I miscarried in January this year). Through the blood tests taken at that time it was discovered that I had low platelet levels and as a result was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called ITP (Immune Thrombocytopenia Purpura). Basically the platelets that my body produces are seen as foriegn and are consequently attacked. I have to have monthly monitoring blood tests. I am not sure if the time between tests needs to be reduced now that I am pg.

I was just wondering if anyone has ITP or knows someone with it. It would be great to hear of how your/their pg went.

Thanks

Rexee,

Welcome to Belly Belly!

I don't know of anyone with ITP specifically, but I have an autoimmune disease that sounds very similar. (It is called Sarcoidosis, an autoimmune disease where the lumpathic system (lymph nodes) attack each other, causing all sorets of issues).

Anyway, I miscarried in July 2002, and I really questioned whether it had anything to do with autoimmune disease. The answer from my GP and my OB was a definate NO.

I then have gone on to have had two successful pregnancies and now how 2 beautiful babies. In both pregnancies I got tired, but no more than usual/no more than any other pregnant woman! My OB even suggested that the increased hormone activity of pregnancy can help fix autoimmune issues.

I wish you lots of luck.

Hi Rexee,

I have a really bad immune system but they have not been able to diagose me with anything specific. But I have heard that women with these issues can have gamma globulin or intra globulin shots to assist while pregnant? Don't quote me on this but this has already been mentioned to me. That and a lot of bed rest etc.

Take care of yourself

Hey Rexee,

After my 2nd m/c I was diagnosed with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease & Graves Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism). When I got PG the 3rd time I was put on meds and my little boy was born safe & healthy. I had to have blood tests more frequently during PG so that the docs could keep an eye on my hormone levels.

My rheumatologist said the same things as Lucy's OB - that autoimmune diseases often get better during PG, and sure enough by the time I was 25 weeks my GD had gone into remission.

Wishing you all the best for you PG!!

I have just read your thread and I know the date is nearly 2 years ago but just wanted to let you know if you are still around that Ihave ITP too. I have had it for 9 years now.
    I have had prednisone. dexamethasone,intragram a lerpsoy drug a splenectomya nd finally in 2005 a cancer drug to treat mine. As a result we have had to wait until now to try to conceive. I would love to chat if you are still around

ANybody know if Rexee still post son here?